Different sheet roofing

Russell griffiths

So I thought I would be using tata raised seam roofing but have started to look at other products, all raised seam but based on different base materials, has anybody got an opinion on the good and bad bits about the base material 

tata is a steel based product

rein zinc is obviously zinc

comax roofing is aluminium 

as i I see it steel can rust, zinc can corrode I have been told, aluminium won’t rust, but I’ve always had problems with aluminium when trying to paint it, special primer needed, would this be a problem with the coating system they use?

the aluminium one actually comes with the longest guarantee out of all of them. 

Anybody have any thoughts. 

Aluminum doesn’t corrode as much as any of the others as what happens is it oxides and the oxide layer forms a protective coating. This protects the aluminium from further degradation. 

However.... there is one big but to that whole statement ..!!! Where there are two metals together, and aluminum is one of them, then you get galvanic corrosion instead and the aluminum appears to disintegrate. Any land rover owner can tell you what this looks like ..!

Anything with a secondary coating is only as good as the coating itself - Tata coated products are guaranteed on the life of the coating and it not being damaged exposing the steel below for example. This will rust whereas an aluminium based product will “heal” around the damage with an oxide layer. 

• Like 1

They are a few problems with ventilation under zink so need good ventilation. There is a treated version which is better so less ventilation. I don't think you need ventilation under the stainless (for the steel but maybe/likely for roof build up) so this gave us more faith in the material but we are fully ventilated anyway (belts and braces). I also prefer the stainless look but there is a tin coat on it so you can solder it. The tin does dampening down the finish, it's actually mojre like lead. 

This is a really good website for material/tool  suppliers.

https://www.roofing-tools.com/Mobile/stainless-steel-c102x3122804

Edited by Alexphd1

We had a look at the structured underlay such as https://www.roofing-tools.com/Mobile/iso-mat-metal-structured-underlay-c2x23191546 

But was told 2 inch air gap if battening out but the underlay which was lucky if 1 inch gap.... work involved with doing 2 inch battening on roof if I was paying somebody I would have done more research into the underlay!! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Oh how I wish I had the budget for that. 

Not as expensive as you think. I looked at it for an extension and worked out about £60/sqm for the materials and it was done very similar to zinc or aluminum and folded on site into trays and then just clipped at the edges - think it was 300mm trays from memory. 

It takes a while to go to a verdigris finish and looks a bit patchy when it’s changing but end result was good. Only thing that I remember was the warranty was only 25 years I think for the thickness they use.

This was the company from memory - they were Leicester based but worked across the UK