Tata Steel v Marley Eternity Profile 6

So we are looking at metal roof and cladding from Tata and Euroclad but I've been looking at alternatives that would give us a similar 'metal' look. Im expecting the Tata/Euroclad to be expensive but having has samples of both Tata and Marley Eternit Profile 6, we are equally happy with either. Our pre planning advice today was that they would support PP (that was with the steel) but when full PP goes in I'd rather propose either so we have a couple of options. 

One thing that worries me with both is that our only windows will be skylights - and we are looking at 9-10 of them. Is one of these roof options better for installation of skylights? 

Anyone here had Marley Eternit Profile 6 and if so, what do you think? Pros and cons of both?

personally having built 2 large portal frame buildings with steel cladding +roofing

20years on the  sheeting started to peel its plastisol coating -

there is no real way to cure it as any paint coating will be on top of the plastisol that has not come off yet--so it will peel later

so my money would be to go for the cement board    corrosion never enters the picture then 

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

personally having built 2 large portal frame buildings with steel cladding +roofing

20years on the  sheeting started to peel its plastisol coating -

there is no real way to cure it as any paint coating will be on top of the plastisol that has not come off yet--so it will peel later

so my money would be to go for the cement board    corrosion never enters the picture then 

That's really helpful, definitely worth considering then, I'm just curious on fitting if one is easier than the other, especially as the builders will be fitting.

I don’t think you can compare the two really 

one is a metal standing seam, the other a corrugated fibre cement

both made from a different raw material and both giving a different profile

as for roof windows, when I went on the tata course a lot of time was spent talking about flashing kits for roof windows, so the metal system certainly lends itself very well to having windows installed in it with some carefull planning. 

If look at @JamesP roof he has done a stunning job of installing his roof windows,

as for life span I think these products have moved on a lot in twenty years. 

On 08/12/2018 at 11:02, the_r_sole said:

Tata do numerous profiles so guessing you're talking about corrugated sheeting?

The profile 6 is certainly becoming a bit more popular in the last few years, you get a different sound from them in the rain/hail so a bit of a consideration if you have room in the roof...

The coatings on steel seem to be bit more glossy than the cement board (although maybe just my experience) so you can usually see the difference between them on a wall/roof.

If you are putting it on yourself the cement board might be easier for cutting on site

Actually it was the Colourcoat Urban and also we looked at Vieo and Euroclad. We like the appearance of the steel and the corrugated type look, and actually don't have a preference on these v profile 6 cement board but cost wise I suspect the steel will be far more working on a m2 basis. Whatever we use on the roof will also be used on the walls. If anyone had any pictures of the Marley Eternit Profile 6 that would be very helpful, I've emailed them asking if they have any examples of work locally we can look at.

We aren't doing it ourselves so it will be down to the builder. I was just wondering from an installation point, and especially with the amount of windows but I'm a bit worried about steel with the points @scottishjohn has raised too.

Well I visited a local company today called Excelclad close to us in Prees, Shropshire who manufacture steel  roofing and cladding, and everything  else in between and I was also able to view the Marley Eternit and I've also had samples from the Cembrit. Although I like the cement, ultimately it is just painted and will fade from anthracite colour so have ruled it out.

We have decided on the plastisol pvc in anthracite. The one I saw was a bit textured, although some I saw were smooth, think I prefer the textured.

They do that many different profiles I've come away with samples and pictures. There is a local guy less than two miles away from us that apparently worked on a house using the companies products  who has been installing it for over 40 years too who I'm hoping will pop round to look at the plans and advise on profiles etc and see what he can come up with but I think I'd rather someone do the roof with all the skylights, cuts and flashing that has been doing it years than a builder that may not have used it before.

If our house looks half as good as this one in the pics he's worked on I'll be made up!

IMG_20181214_173833.jpg

Screenshot_20181214-170241.png

Screenshot_20181214-170227.png

• 3 months later...

So does anybody have experience of using Tatasteel Colourcoat Urban in the end?

We have allowed for it in our budget based on pricing of materials, delivery and rough erection costs provided by Tata themselves - whose customer support is excellent in regard to the product itself and suitable applications.   They won't comment on suppliers/erectors, though.  They've supplied a list and none are that close to us, but I am talking to a few for now.  The estimates so far are wildly different, worryingly so!

We will have an approx 5 degree roof, so very few materials will work well, and we will want cladding in same material as the roof.  The roof will have an approx 10 kW solar array and the standing seams lend themselves to somewhat straightforward attachment, or so I'm told. 

Thank you.

DHDreamer

I used Tata colourcoat for two simple flat roofs, no penetrations/veluxes. Very happy with end result. Was one of the few things on my build that i outsourced (despite the DIY possibilities) and was very happy with the installers. They travel fair distances doing it. Can pass on a contact if you want.

Just a little off-piste on this thread

Has anyone any experience of mortgage/insurance/warranty issues when using any of these materials.

We are converting a steel frame agricultural building which has a cement fibre roof and keep coming up against the dreaded 'non standard construction' issues. So much so that we are considering block work and Eco roof 'tiles' just so we can say it's brick and tile

Sorry if I have hijacked the thread but on a relative note our building is at least 20 years old and the cladding seems fine. The roof is good but we are going to replace it anyway for the above reasons.

On 20/03/2019 at 13:06, DreamHouseDreamer said:

.  They've supplied a list and none are that close to us, but I am talking to a few for now.

Would you be able to share that list? Pm if you want. Would be interested in metal roof installers.

@Patrick  PM sent.

@bobberjob  I cannot help with mortgage for a building constructed from so called  'non standard' materials as we have raised funding a completely different way (and possibly even sold our souls to the devil, we shall see!  ? )  However, because of our build and construction route we have had a time consuming and expensive time getting site insurance and 10 year warranty in place.  We have in the end used BuildZone.

As we have no building yet to insure for rebuilding and contents we have yet to get proper quotes, but we already know that many if not most of the big insurers who provide cover for buildings and contents (the types that show up on compare the meerkat, etc) either won't touch it with a barge pole or will charge a fortune.  For the moment we have far too many more immediate worries, but I know it's something we are going to have to sort out at some point - and swallow the cost.

I should add for completeness:  Somewhere else on this forum under a totally different category there are some topics that address several aspects of insurance and warranties, etc.  There may be far better advice there, or so I'd hope!

DH Dreamer

Edited by DreamHouseDreamer
corrected a typo