What a difference a nail makes.....

ToughButterCup

Lucky this brouhaha about joists blew up. I wouldn't have noticed one little detail which,  had a BCO picked it up I would, I suspect have been wailing and gnashing my teeth.  

ToolStation touts these nails as suitable for all (my emphasis) roofing applications 

20181207_122917.thumb.jpg.948fa458076cac34347d583a8988a043.jpg  that is 30 by 3.75.....

Oh Yes they are! Oh no they aren't ('Tis the season innit.......)

Had the POSI joist picnic not occurred, I would not have  picked up that I need this spec...

20181207_111547.thumb.jpg.9e081f129e79c7c57074b0aab8426bfc.jpg or 35 by 3.4

If you can buy these off the shelf, I take my hat off to you.  I had to pop down to Cheshire Roof Trusses and pick some up today.

Steve Grice , the designer there, was quite clear that I did in fact need these nails. Pushing on an open door with me... I just don't have the gall to pop down to TS and buy nails of a near-enough spec.

Anyone know what building risk (as opposed to regulatory risk) I would be taking by using the shorter, fatter TS nails instead? 

5 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Yes. But.

JSH warned us about  VAT reclaims and ebay . So I avoid it for VAT deductibles.  

I got every penny back from HMRC for my eBay purchases apart from a couple that were from private sellers that I knew weren’t eligible, but they were mega cheap. I just messaged them first and asked it they could provide a vat invoice if it wasn’t clear that they could in the description and they all obliged and emailed me one. 

8 minutes ago, Triassic said:

But sometimes the EBay savings are greater than the VAT reclaim rate!

They are indeed!  I bought loads of stuff from eBay and just took the hit on VAT (where I couldn't get a VAT invoice), as the saving was usually more than the VAT.

In the scheme of things is it worth skimping on a few quid when you could be getting on with it. I bought stuff on EBay I knew I could not claim back but the time saving was worth it, especially the ones that deliver next day.

2 hours ago, newhome said:

I got every penny back from HMRC for my eBay purchases apart from a couple that were from private sellers that I knew weren’t eligible, but they were mega cheap. I just messaged them first and asked it they could provide a vat invoice if it wasn’t clear that they could in the description and they all obliged and emailed me one. 

I got quite a bit on eBay (UFH mats, latex, tanking kits, MPDE fittings etc..) on eBay and got VAT receipts from them all. 

• Like 1

just to make @recoveringacademic feel a bit better - see picture below.

20181209_185518.thumb.jpg.22651902ed7566b37c038122196064e6.jpg

I've been sorting out these snags before I plaster board.  I missed this one when the professional / full time / chippy put the frame up.  Short cuts by others have cost me a lot of time.  Next timber frame will be closely inspected as it goes up.

Sad that the professionals don't get it right.

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, CC45 said:

just to make @recoveringacademic feel a bit better - see picture below.

20181209_185518.thumb.jpg.22651902ed7566b37c038122196064e6.jpg

I've been sorting out these snags before I plaster board.  I missed this one when the professional / full time / chippy put the frame up.  Short cuts by others have cost me a lot of time.  Next timber frame will be closely inspected as it goes up.

Sad that the professionals don't get it right.

Pair of slender wedges driven in from both sides will sort the bottom one - top is glued and nailed to the floor so isn’t going anywhere. Given them both a smear of glue both sides and tap them together til they are tight. 

The frame company 'checked' the frame before they signed it off - if I'd got the experience I now have back then, things would be different.

BC tend to rely a lot on the trades self certifying their own work.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, CC45 said:

The frame company 'checked' the frame before they signed it off - if I'd got the experience I now have back then, things would be different.

BC tend to rely a lot on the trades self certifying their own work.

What a ridiculous way to handle things. 

I might start doing my own MOT just tell the old bil I signed it off my self.