Tile problem- need help.

Hi out there/ here..

Got a problem with my tiles bought from Tile & Bath Co. I tiled a shower wall/ bathroom (around bath), & a nice job/ very pleased if I may say so.

After a while I noticed colour coming off. Can't be.. surely, but pigment deposits coincide with main splash from shower = covered silicone & stained grout at mid/ btm of wall have similar colour as tiles around. Clear proof.

So I go to shop: they tried one tile in water they said/ a scrub.. nothing. Im not happy. So their rep visits & says tentatively (1st thing thru front door, a can of Mattstone in hand) he -did- find a slight same thing on his own test. He agrees. He leaves me a can of 'Mattstone' sealer.. well ok line drawn if it does the job (tho 2 hrs work.. & I shouldn't be doing this).

A month on- same/ colours coming off. The sealer did nowt, or washed off in a week. When I go in again I mention my prob same, just in passing, I see the tile on display.. with a clear different issue! (computer pattern lines across face). So I put my foot down a wee bit harder, politely, but shop refutes my pov (again) & asks what cleaner Ive used? none.. I hadn't dared clean once since installing them I said. I ask for manager call me next day. He bluntly & rudely refutes my pov, & denies the rep agreed or left me a sealer 'to fix tiles'. I am angry now.

I email managing director, explain my issue. A very detailed reply of: a rebuttal of my claims, denial the rep agreed with my findings, grand arrogance of their experience (therefore my meagre pov), no-one else has had a problem etc etc.. & to top it off suggested that my 'green scourer', cleaner stuff, or grout (Mapei/ the best, carefully & correctly applied) are to blame.. anything.. but admitting a fault with the tile. I feel shafted.

What do I do?

thanks- zoot

Edited by zoothorn

Hi newhome lurking over here..

http://www.tileandbathco.com/arbel-slate

Its just a terrible Co & what I should do to fight my case. I guess it could be any product not neccessarily bathroom xyz its just this section of a build forum- seems best place I can think of.

Nothing to say at any stage, by anyone that these tiles are 'unfixed/ to-be-sealed-by-buyer' (tbh Ive never known of this re. tiles).

.. or can also be used to create a beautiful feature wall.

If it ws solely a floor tile, or, n/g for a shower, the MD would've said this straight off the bat- he didn't. Nor did the staff in the shop when I explained my job, nor the rep who saw the issue, nor the rude manager who called denying I had a problem at all.

If it did need sealing and you haven’t clean off and get some heat in the bathroom for a couple of days 

Tgen give them a clean with a grout residue cleaner Replace any grout that has tarnished and seal all 

Hi Nod. But as i said I did seal them. I shouldn't have had to, but the rep came/ gave me some sealer. Its proven that if I was given sealer > they needed sealing. If they needed sealing > then either A) this is normal, or B) this is not normal.

Now I have suggested to the Co that this is not normal, & if I see pigment washing off.. then I don't need anymore proof that there is a problem with the item. If I see other problems with the tile, in the shop, concurred by the staff, then more quries about the item.

The thread is about what I do with such a dreadful Co, not neccessarily to dispute my findings: this is what the Co have done nothing but &some.. & I'm sick of it. I need help on how to handle this Co. My proof = fact. Fact me.. 'til I fart.

Edited by zoothorn

Seems like a ccj is'thing you receive? can't make sense of info, & Ive never heard of one tbh.

I think maybe wrong place for my query. I was thinking citizen's advice bureau, but recall they're rubbish, maybe my only avenue tho (?)

Well if it’s only advice re the company you have to put your complaint in writing to begin with. Use the contact details here, don’t bother with trying to sort it out in the shop. 

http://www.tileandbathco.com/customer-services/

Then if you don’t get any joy start a small claims case against them. CCJ just means county court judgment which is the thing that is put in place if you win the case. 

3 hours ago, newhome said:

Well if it’s only advice re the company you have to put your complaint in writing to begin with. Use the contact details here, don’t bother with trying to sort it out in the shop. 

http://www.tileandbathco.com/customer-services/

Then if you don’t get any joy start a small claims case against them. CCJ just means county court judgment which is the thing that is put in place if you win the case. 

Hi newhome.. but Ive gone further already. I emailed the MD head-honcho Dunlop (told to write by them but sod that).. his blunt reply in post 1.

I will look into a 'small claims case'.  many thanks

[Mods- can I make a suggestion; if you had the post number (here post #12) its great for reference marks, esp if you want to refer back to something. IE "see back to zoot's #45 technically incredible info etc.."]

@Temp alas not. You see it is a year since I installed (rep came by with sealer ~6 months ago).. but its a drip-drip slow process, rather than immediately obvious, hence they think they can stall/ shaft me. It takes ages to establish the issue. Another year & I'll see clear 'wash-away' mark starting to appear.. year onwards & they'll all -undoubtadly- need replacing.