OS Map Requirement For Work on TPO'd Tree

AliMcLeod

Our tree surgeon has submitted a planning application on our behalf to perform a crown lift on a TPO'd tree in our garden. This was submitted on 12th November. On 30th November a letter was added to the councils online portal  (though it was dated 19th November) saying the request was invalid because:

You have not submitted a location plan. Please submit a location plan to a scale of 1:2500 or 1:1250 with the boundary of the site to be developed clearly outlined in red showing a north point and at least two named roads and surrounding buildings or where the application site is in the countryside, the situation of the application site in relation to the locality and 'neighbouring land'. Properties shown should be numbered or named. The purpose of the location plan is to ensure that the exact location of the application site is clear. Please also ensure the location plan contains an appropriate Ordnance Survey licence/serial number.

The application gave our address, and I believe that alone should allow the council to easily identify the TPO'd tree as it is the only one within the site and is clearly marked on existing documentation the council has from when the house was extended by the previous occupants. This previous plan is attached to the property in the online portal alongside our new request.

I can easily put together a scale location plan from the house plans I have, to comply with their reasoning, but they are requesting an OS map with a licence/serial number. Can the council actually insist on that?

When we previously tried to phone up to discuss the application, we were told that the (we believe only) TPO officer was off on long term sick.

I have done literally thousands of tpo applications,and from memory I would say 90% had a hand drawn sketch as a map, not to any scale but must be to a standard that any numpty could locate the tree

road at front properly labelled 

sketch of house

access to view the tree 

rough boundaries 

it has been a few years since I was involved in this but it used to be a requirement to make an application valid. 

Have to agree, last time I did this, especially given the history, I dotted the I's and crossed the T's.

From memory there was an LAPD online check list for bits and pieces to supply. This included a detailed sketched plan of the site, location of the trees in relation to other trees, buildings and roads etc

To be fair to the most recent tree officer she said keep the wording and plans etc and just re-submit the next time you apply for works.   Time will tell if it's that simple.

where tpo's are concerned Good Luck is what you really need ;)

There's very little detail on the council website:

https://www.fifedirect.org.uk/topics/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&p2sid=BFE70B2B-B4ED-69A8-9F902121BF71FDFC&themeid=2B482E89-1CC4-E06A-52FBA69F838F4D24

Will try phone up again and see what else they need. I've got the TPO number so I'd like to think giving them that is enough to identify the tree!

For our tree plans (we haven't got tpo's but needed some mapped plans) we use licenced OS mapping as we had it for other work. If you go down that road then emapsite is quite economical. 

However, I'm pretty sure that you can use OS Opendata at that scale if you need to. It needs a license statement but it's a public license so no cost.

14 hours ago, Temp said:

Edit: I think you just have to add the site boundary in red using whatever graphics editor you have.

Yes, i did that. And house numbers, and at least 2 streets with identified street names, and a North marker.

I still don't see why any of that is needed when they have their own TPO reference number.

Edited by AliMcLeod

3 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

It is probably just one of those old fashioned things

if I remember correctly, you needed 3 things to make an application valid

site map

reason for work

paperwork signed

They should say that then - they said they need the location map to ensure it is clear where the application site is. I've probably spent as much effort posting about it here as i did putting the location plan together though :)

Edited by AliMcLeod

3 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

yeah, you always need a location plan no matter what the application is to "identify the application site" addresses are pretty reliable for actual houses but sites/plots can be all over the place and a plan is much clearer to identify the ownership boundaries

This is an existing house with a well defined (walled/gated) garden with a single TPO'd tree in it and no other TPOs within the immediate vicinity. I suspect its stalling due to the only TPO officer being (or having been) off on long term sick, but I'll play the game.

But my initial question was not whether having to submit a location plan was valid, but whether it had to be an OS plan with a serial number etc.

Edited by AliMcLeod

2 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Yeah, but the team who validate planning applications don't know anything about your garden, they work to a set of criteria for validation and if you don't tick the boxes it doesn't go in the system - it's a way of them controlling their 8 week targets (this is my sceptical opinion) so they know what applications are coming in but the 8 weeks doesn't start until they have all the information on the system.... planning validation drives me absolutely crazy, you'd be surprised how many times I've asked them to prove something is required and then it magically gets validated! just a stalling technique imo - most applications submitted have enough information on them to allow a decision to be made but that's not the view of the unnecessary public functionary that is the validation team....

Thanks, that confirms my thinking too. I am going to challenge their need for the OS map with serial number - i'm giving them something with all the information they're after with no copyright infringed.

4 hours ago, AliMcLeod said:

Yes, i did that. And house numbers, and at least 2 streets with identified street names, and a North marker.

I still don't see why any of that is needed when they have their own TPO reference number.

What others have said. You could probably get an application rejected just by stapling two documents together so they only count one!  I'd put each of the required documents (and the cheque) in a separate numbered plastic sleeve and include a document list in the covering letter. 

3 hours ago, AliMcLeod said:

Thanks, that confirms my thinking too. I am going to challenge their need for the OS map with serial number - i'm giving them something with all the information they're after with no copyright infringed. 

Waste of time in my opinion. Just give them what they want and move on.

Here is a list of the mandatory documents..

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200126/applications/59/how_to_apply/6

National requirements

As a minimum, you must provide the following documents for your planning application to be valid:

• The standard application form
  • Most planning applications require two plans to be submitted as supporting documents:

Location plan – which shows the site area and its surrounding context. This can be purchased online from one of the Planning Portal's accredited suppliers either as part of the application process, or separately, and then attached to the application.

Site Plan (sometimes known as a block plan) –  which shows the proposed development in detail and can be purchased from one of the Portal’s three accredited suppliers.

snip

Local level requirements

In addition to the national list, your local planning authority may produce a list which details any specific documentation that is required to accompany the application. The requirements may vary according to the type of application, i.e. household, full, outline, etc. If you are applying online, this list is available from the supporting documents screen.

Alternatively, the local requirements can be found on the relevant LPA’s website.

The list of accredited suppliers is here..

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/homepage/4/buy_a_plan