Hardcore for Hardstanding

Grosey

Hi, I've got a friend who owns a landfill/recycling plant and produces recycled aggregates. He can basically produce me any size hardcore I require. 

I I am looking to lay hardcore over the front of my site so it's a hand standing area and won't turn in to a quagmire when vehicles and deliveries begin. After construction this area will become a gravelled driveway, what would be the best size hardcore to lay? 40mm to dust or something larger?

Thanks

We used recycled crushed concrete for our 45m long driveway, which came in all sizes from fines to something approaching half brick size.  It wore remarkably well for 18 months and is now a base for our gravel driveway.  Do you need it to be permeable (eg, to meet SUDS requirements?)

You should also put a geotextile membrane down to prevent migration of the new layer into the ground beneath.

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Yeah, brilliant innit!

And here's how he makes it. Cracking bloke

IMG_20160323_113731.jpg

Hahaha I spotted this snap the other day, what a beauty! I'll try and get a phot of my mates rig for comparison. 

2 hours ago, Crofter said:

Use of a textile is not always necessary.

As a rough rule of thumb, you want your largest particle size to be about half the depth to be laid.

There's some excellent advice on all matters hardcore on Paving Expert

I'd rather avoid using membrane to be honest, considering the price I'll be paying for the hardcore I think I'd be better off just keep piling it on top, it's got to stop disappearing down at some point - sounds like one of those famous last words moments doesn't it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Yeah, brilliant innit!

And here's how he makes it. Cracking bloke

IMG_20160323_113731.jpg

thats brilliant, 

hmm i need to power my new crusher??? ill use the drive shaft of my old lorry.

hmmm its still not high enough,,,,,,,,,,,I know ill park it on top of and old digger bucket and an RSJ laid across a skip.

perfect :D:D 

We used road planings and it has worked a treat. You do not get so much dust so it is really permeable and has compacted down with the traffic really well. We put ours on Terram membrane as the price of the road planings was £5.00 a ton!

Pete, that's good news for me, I have hardcore laid down and the local farmer who is taking all my clay away knows a bloke that transports road planings away and has arranged three 20 ton Lorry loads for me, glad to know it works well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to close this issue had my first load delivered today, 4" down, got a nice levelled site entrance now which should pay dividends for all future deliveries.  Next load coming tomorrow morning. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2