Which heating system in our old house?

Dee J

So our old 4-bed Devon longhouse we have no 'automated' heating system. What we do have is a thermal store, solar thermal, multifuel rayburn, immersion heater and solar pv. There's partial underfloor heating and a few rads running off the store and rayburn (and a few electric panel heaters)... although the rayburn firebox is too small to run it all on wood (and we're not keen on coal etc). This lack of an automated system may be a disadvantage as we try to sell. Not keen to replace the rayburn with oil version.... so, options... electric boiler, external oil boiler, air source heat pump.... any recommendations or advice? 

Thanks.

THe golden rule is do nothing, or at worst absolute minimum, unless the EA tells you that it will make good value as a mini renovation project, or it makes it easier to sell when it would otherwise be difficult.

In this case you may find that 95% of customers would not even notice the changes, unless it makes a material difference to something that aids sellability or is a big benefit to one of ten areas that makes a difference.

Or I guess removes a millstone at minimal cost.

Your passion is probably now with your new life not the old one, so spend the time and money on that unless there is  good reason. GO on holiday instead.

F

• Like 1

Thanks Ferdinand. Really appreciate the input. The key selling challenges for our house are the proximity of the main road and the narrowness of the entrance. We can't fix 1. But will do our best to improve 2. Just looking at the whole package and anything else which might help. Of course a stable government and healthy economy would help too, but the horse May have bolted on that.

this reminds me of when i was a boy and my first car--changed exhaust ,brakes shock absorbers and fitted new tyres etc and when i went to buy another one from a dealer

the offer   he made me  seemed bad after all the money i had spent

" must have needed it son"  --but it dont, alter the price i,m offering you he says with a smile .

chances are who ever buys it will want  to knock it about anyway .

bottom line is you can always come down in price by the amount you would spend 

I have been told that any improvement you make to a house you will be lucky if you get 50% of its value back when you sell -

so easier just to do the buyer a deal and move one

Edited by scottishjohn