How to save money on a notice under article 13: the ad in a local paper?

Dreadnaught

As part of my planning application I have to run an ad in local newspaper, a formal notice under Article 13 of Town and Country Planning Act 2015. Cost for the classified ad seems to be about £250-300. Seems rather pricey, not to mention it being an anachronism!

Anyone done this? Any tips for saving money and doing it more cheaply?

What local newpaper does it have to be in? Can you choose, and are there any really cheap advertising handouts that might be acceptable? Are the adverts available on the planning portal? Can you see what others have done? 

Thanks @newhome. I had a look at the local papers in the town. There only seems to be one for the town and one for the county and both are owned by the same company. All the local papers are owned by national groups and just branded locally. Interestingly, when you click to buy a classified ad it takes you to a national ad-buying service.

I have since also read that this is a bit of a "racket" to support local newspapers. Apparently legal notices are worth many millions to the sector and the government took a deliberate decision not to loosen the requirement to support them. Don't know what to think about that given that I will be paying this inflated cost for an ad which, I assume, nobody will actually read.

Edited by Dreadnaught

“Notice of applications for planning permission

13.—(1) Except where paragraph (2) applies, an applicant for planning permission must give requisite notice of the application to any person (other than the applicant) who on the prescribed date is an owner of the land to which the application relates, or a tenant—

(a)by serving the notice on every such person whose name and address is known to the applicant; and

(b)where the applicant has taken reasonable steps to ascertain the names and addresses of every such person, but has been unable to do so, by publication of the notice after the prescribed date in a newspaper circulating in the locality in which the land to which the application relates is situated.”

You will definitely have to advertise if you are subject to Art 13, however which newspaper is up to you, as long as it’s distribution is the area of your build.

If it makes you feel better, the build I’m on at the moment just cost me £13,500+vat to advertise!! 

They normally charge for either word word count or space, so try to just meet the minimum required to make the ad adequate.

Edited by Gav_P

Thanks @PeterW and @Gav_P.

Yes, @Gav_P, you are spot on. That's my situation. £13,500, wow! Did you have to setup the newspaper to run your ad?

On word count, a google search seems to reveal two forms of ad. Most of them have the same longer wording. A few have a shorter form that skips a bit. Of course I am tempted to use the shorter version. But I suppose the risk is that if its wrong I may be asked to run it again, wasting money. Any thoughts?

53 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Did you have to setup the newspaper to run your ad?

Haha no, I had to do national as well as local. The nationals like to charge the best part of £4k per ad. 

I would think £250 ish wasn’t too bad. When you compare it to something like autotrader @£50 odd for a tiny ad by comparison. 

Its just frustrating spending your hard earned dosh on something that doesn’t add value to your build.

How come you are subject to article 13 anyway? I though that was only for when you don’t own the land, or if it’s tenanted? But I could be 100% wrong on that!! ?

15 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Its just frustrating spending your hard earned dosh on something that doesn’t add value to your build.

Absolutely right. Although strangely enough, I am already starting to get used to it.

12 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

How come you are subject to article 13 anyway? I though that was only for when you don’t own the land, or if it’s tenanted?

No, you are right. In my case, access from the public highway to my plot is along an unadopted road owned (as all the neighbours agree) by nobody. Hence I have to advertise so that nobody can come forward and say they own that road.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

No, you are right. In my case, access from the public highway to my plot is along an unadopted road owned (as all the neighbours agree) by nobody. Hence I have to advertise so that nobody can come forward and say they own that road.

That’s not an article 13 requirement is it ..???

12 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Absolutely right. Although strangely enough, I am already starting to get used to it.

Surely, if it's owned by nobody, there is nobody to serve notice, therefore you don't need to advertise? Have I missed something or is nobody about to burst into being, kind of like the universe after the big bang?

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That’s not an article 13 requirement is it ..???

I am neither a lawyer nor an expert just a mere clueless first-time builder. I am having to issue an "Ownership Certificate C" because the planners asked that the "nobody road" be included within the red delineated area of the area plan for my build (don't know why but I assume its because the red zone always needs to show a link to a public road). The next step in the logical thread is that I have to notify all the owners of any land within the red-delineated zone. And because nobody knows who owns the "nobody road", I have to advertise so that nobody can respond to say they own the "nobody road". 

Does that make sense? Is that Article 13, I think so?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, vivienz said:

Surely, if it's owned by nobody, there is nobody to serve notice, therefore you don't need to advertise? Have I missed something or is nobody about to burst into being, kind of like the universe after the big bang?

Yes, I think the lawmakers understood quantum uncertainty and made provision in case, through the collapse of a wave function, an owner might wink into existence at an inconvenient moment. I may be at the start of my build journey but I am already sufficiently jaded that even that would not surprise me :D

• Haha 1

Just now, newhome said:

Didn’t you buy the plot with PP already, ergo this has already been done or clarified as not needed?

Yes I did. But I am now going back to planning with a design that is similar but sufficiently different to require a whole new planning application. This whole dance about the "nobody road" was indeed done last time but frustratingly the law requires that the (pricey) local newspaper ad be at most 21 days before the date of submission of my new application.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dreadnaught said:

Just out of interest, under which circumstances do you have advertise nationally (and trouser such a daunting bill)?

Nothing that would affect us paltry selfbuilders. It’s required for national significant infrastructure projects (NSIPs)...

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Stick it on Facebook...

But then a Russian, who has been assiduously watching my online activity, will pop up and claim the "nobody road" and then where will I be? :D

Edited by Dreadnaught
  • Haha 1

Sorry but you can’t claim planning permission over an unknown plot of land, and include it in your permission ... 

The plot most likely has a right of way that has been created by usage - all you need is an indemnity policy just in case the owner comes back and claims you don’t have rights ....

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Sorry but you can’t claim planning permission over an unknown plot of land, and include it in your permission ... 

Do you think the planners got it wrong? Why do you think the planners asked me to extend the red boundary to encompass the access road (it makes me plot look like a pan with a handle)? To be honest I do not understand that importance of the red-bound zone on the area plan. It seems to hold some higher significance.

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

The plot most likely has a right of way that has been created by usage - all you need is an indemnity policy just in case the owner comes back and claims you don’t have rights ....

Yes, correct. During the conveyancing a deemed right-of-way was examined and found to be quite strong but, just in case, an insurance policy was recommended too and is being purchased for the princely sum of £175.

Edited by Dreadnaught