Roof costs

Jilly

My small barn conversion has a decent roof but is constructed of ugly trusses which mean even a small mezzanine is impractical and too low for building regs. I'm going through what appear to be my options. Could anyone give me an idea of price (80 sq m)?

We could put a ceiling in and use the loft space. Boring but practical.

Could re roof and change the trusses to something amazing to make most of a bit of ceiling height to give the building some character and 'wow', but seems likely to be expensive? 

Is there an option to insulate and keep the trusses but make some kind of a feature? Could they look good simply painted?

IMG_5878.jpg

Edited by Jilly
To add a pic

Photo would be useful .. ?

first question should be - are they structurally sound ..?? If not then it’s roof off time anyway. 

You could use a variety of replacement truss designs based on the width of the space and what your plans are - a raised collar truss will give you more height without the expense of purlins or steels for example. 

Depending on the work needed and the requirement to keep the existing tiles etc you could be talking £6-10k to strip and replace with existing tiles but increase internal height.