Fallout with builder- now I’m on drains - questions

Tin Soldier

Evening all

subsequent to a fallout with the builder who was going to be doing my drainage and front steps, looks like I’m on my own

so

drains are in the building and exit concrete slab internally

externally I have nothing yet- other than the bits and pieces

simple question first

my plans show a gulley trap for kitchen sink, and the showers

it shows the toilets connecting straight into the waste

is this right? Sinks need gulley traps? Even though the wast pipe exits way below ffl

thanks

scott

I think what we have is a 110mm drain that runs down the side of the house to the main. At various points along it we have a 450mm inspection chambers each of which comprises an inspection chamber base, riser and cover.  The inspection bases have a straight through path and one or more 110mm branches that feed into it. 

This sort of thing...

http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain05.htm#newic

Edited by Temp

Bathrooms upstairs will normally feed everything into a 110mm stack. The bottom of the stack underground will have a special large radius bend to turn it from vertical to horizontal. From there it runs to an inspection chamber.

Showers on the ground floor can be done several ways. The shower tray can be raised on a plinth with a trap underneath or at floor level with a "top access trap". Then the output from the trap is usually either a 40/50mm pipe to a 110mm stack. 

I believe there are rules on the minimum height difference between the drain outside and the shower trap. This can be an issue if the sewer in the road is quite high or there is a long run from the house to the sewer.

10 hours ago, mvincentd said:

[...]

I'm having a crisis of confidence about all aspects of my build currently and [...] in a right panic...

You, me (and many others) all.

Slowly though, I'm finding the more issues I face - often after @Onoff levels of procrastination - the more confident I get at sorting them out.  Progress is slow however.

For me, it's about persistence: consistent persistence. A good few days each month find me mooning around in avoidance mode. Tired, irritable, grizzly. For me BH is a life-saver.  Without it, we'd be in a complete mess, and broke.

The worst thing is the lack of control. Many of us are (or recently were) professionally at the top of our games. We know (knew) our stuff. And then we decided to build a house.

Knowingly threw ourselves into a whirlpool. How many people  would have the balls to do that? 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

The worst thing is the lack of control. Many of us are (or recently were) professionally at the top of our games. We know (knew) our stuff. And then we decided to build a house.

Knowingly threw ourselves into a whirlpool. How many people  would have the balls to do that? 

So true - well said.?

21 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

stupid stupid question

the gulley traps

do they need the hopper on top as you normally see 40mm waste going into or are the traps buried, with no hopper as the waste pipe exiting the building is 110mm

Needs a picture here. 

You don’t need to do the traditional waste out of the wall into a gully as long as there is a method to rod or clean the waste from one end. 

You can take a waste underground if you want but the recommendation is min 50mm and better 110mm. 

You can also use a bottle trap for the wastes outside - as long as there is a water seal, that is 75mm of standing water in a bend or trap - then smells can’t get into the house or out from the drains. 

If you already have 110mm pipe through the founds for the sinks and showers then you could replace the gully traps with inspection chambers. You would need u-bends under the basins and a trap under the shower as well.

Perhaps this would mess up plans for a nice patio?

Something like this if the falls are ok..

374344507_Alternativeplans.jpg.1b5c2ccb2bcd3ff4e9e060e9e748e768.jpg

Notes: I've shown an inspection chamber in the middle as well because personally I wouldn't be happy with the buried "T-junction" and rodding eye shown originally.

You may need more blank plugs than I've shown. It depends on how many branches there are on the IC bases.

Edited by Temp

The 100mm svp in the corner of the bathroom is probably a stack but I just noticed it says "222 (svp)" and "572 (svp)" in the middle. What's that all about?

It also says "Foul drainage - see notes" what do they say if anything?

Edited by Temp

Hi no problem with patio

unfortunately I already have rodding eyes,, traps etc, so inspection chambers would add cost - possible I could go ahead and buy them though

not sure on the 222, I think that might be wall width as its where two structures meet

nothing in the notes of any interest in terms of 'foul drainage;

9 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:
9 hours ago, Tin Soldier said:

[...] 

crying like a baby believe it or not

[...]

That's me, four times so far. 

...twice just last week but thats only because i managed to resist the inclination the other 14 times.

14 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

For me, it's about persistence: consistent persistence. A good few days each month find me mooning around in avoidance mode

I have exactly this as well, although with a full time job these episodes cant last long or little gets done.  Its not wanting to do something (not sure how to do it or it involves hassles or its a big job) that sets me off.  Once I start Im normally ok.

I find that if I stop, I take a long time to start again. Therefore I cannot stop, every night i'm out there doing something for minimum 3 hours

it is difficult with 3 kids under 6, to balance work, build and supporting the wife, but If I don't do it, no one else will...

• Like 2

There's also that bittersweet feeling when you finish a job, after really getting into it and overcoming the initial procrastination.

Then you have to start the next one...

BTW, even though our house is now signed off and we've been in it over 2.5 years, the jobs keep coming....

Just now, recoveringacademic said:

You could have exercised a bit of restraint before writing that.... ?

Current joy is weeding two front areas prior to turfing & then getting level with soil..

Last week's job was hand placing 5 jumbo bags of white cobbles to the space between wall and house. 

God knows what next weekend brings...

5 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

BTW, even though our house is now signed off and we've been in it over 2.5 years, the jobs keep coming....

I’ve been in mine 8 years and signed off for exactly a year. Still shit loads to do ?