How to avoid £175 new address registration fee.

We got a letter from the street naming department of the council just after our pp was granted, took us a few months to decide on a name but sent it in and a week later it was approved and then appeared in the drop down menu for the postcode, all free!

wish we had our bins right enough but don’t want to draw attention before completion certificate and end up paying council tax?

I am going to contest this now with the RM and possibly with the Highland council.

The HC have told me the new address is on their address database.  If I did pay the fee and send off the form to them, they would probably now tell me I can't have that name as it's already in use.

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

What was the exact wording that you used to explain why it was not already on the PAF?

"What's the problem? I can’t find my address on Postcode Finder
    Tell us more: Address attached to site in 2010 or thereabouts.
    Currently building new residence."
Edited by dpmiller

3 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

So when the council want to start charging tax, what address do they put on the letter to me?

If they give me a newhouse or some strange address can I then just ask Royal mail to update?

They'll use the address they've agreed with you - they just won't put in on the PAF database without you paying a crazy huge fee that people posting from other LAs in Scotland so far (Borders, South Lanarkshire, Aberdeen) don't have to pay.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, newhome said:

They'll use the address they've agreed with you - they just won't put in on the PAF database without you paying a crazy huge fee that people posting from other LAs in Scotland so far (Borders, South Lanarkshire, Aberdeen) don't have to pay.

Yep, council tax addressed to new house, all post arrives at new house. Just not paying silly money to get it on the PAF database so stalemate.

Just now, ProDave said:

Yep, council tax addressed to new house, all post arrives at new house. Just not paying silly money to get it on the PAF database so stalemate.

TBH what's the worst that can happen? You end up having to manually input addresses when ordering online as yours won't be there. No biggie really. 

• 3 months later...

There is a very slight twist to this ongoing saga.

Today I had occasion to fill in a form on the Highland Council's website (to report a road defect)  When It got to the "your address" bit there was a box for postcode and then select your address.  Entered my postcode and our new address appears on the pull down list.  This is proof beyond doubt that the new address IS on the council's address database.

Went and checked though and it is still not on the PAF at Royal Mail.

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

This is proof beyond doubt that the new address IS on the council's address database.

Went and checked though and it is still not on the PAF at Royal Mail.

I'm the opposite. On PAF but not on the council's database despite them being the ones who notified Royal Mail! 

15 hours ago, newhome said:

I'm the opposite. On PAF but not on the council's database despite them being the ones who notified Royal Mail!

That is easy to fix, I just phoned up my Council and said "I would like to pay some council tax on my static caravan".

19 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

That is easy to fix, I just phoned up my Council and said "I would like to pay some council tax on my static caravan".

Lol, I’ve asked them to add it. They certainly manage to send me letters and charge me council tax sadly.