Best simple ideas and concepts to design in to new build

albert

3 hours ago, howplum said:

Problem with this type of device is that it needs the WI-Fi signal at its location to extend it (same as a plug in one), and by doing so is reducing the throughput capacity, It has to receive it then transmit so can only ever be half as good, and will add to the RF noise so aggravating an already non-optimal situation.

It is no substitute for a wired in Access Point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, le-cerveau said:

Problem with this type of device is that it needs the WI-Fi signal at its location to extend it (same as a plug in one), and by doing so is reducing the throughput capacity, It has to receive it then transmit so can only ever be half as good, and will add to the RF noise so aggravating an already non-optimal situation.

It is no substitute for a wired in Access Point.

So I'll cross that idea off my wish list then!

I have lots of low level lighting on PIR. Outdoor along my pathways and indoor along my hallways and in the bathrooms and also in niches in bathrooms.  No fumbling for lights in the middle of the night. Guest w.c. is also on PIR...gets them every time LOL ...looking for the light switch.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We’ve just gone through pre-planning and are about to go into the detailed design phase on our house so this has been incredibly useful. Some things I’d already thought about (having laundry upstairs) but there’s tons of really useful info here....the kind of details that can really change your day to day life but also make the hose more robust. The idea of a separate electrical circuit for things like freezer, tv and some lights during a power cut (using a generator) is a great one...we get more power cuts than we should! 

I may have read it here but I remember someone suggesting that if you’re going for a pantry to build it with less insulation on the external walls than the rest of the house, and to build the internal walls (and door) to the same specification of the external walls of the rest of the house.

1 hour ago, Cheib said:

I may have read it here but I remember someone suggesting that if you’re going for a pantry to build it with less insulation on the external walls than the rest of the house, and to build the internal walls (and door) to the same specification of the external walls of the rest of the house.

Yes, on a previous plan of mine I wanted a larder outside the envelope, north side of the house, concrete shelves fixed to a single skin block/ brick wall.

32 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Yes, on a previous plan of mine I wanted a larder outside the envelope, north side of the house, concrete shelves fixed to a single skin block/ brick wall.

I would love to have that but just can’t get it in the plan.  A precious version had our kitchen at one end of the house purely to allow this type of larder arrangement.  Maybe i’ll give it another go.  I was always very jealous of MILs larder that had an 8inch window frame, no glazing but a wire mesh in the larder.  It was lovely and cool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheib said:

We are incorporating a larder on the north side of our house.  It is insulated (less than the external walls of the house though) and connected to the house with a proper external door.  I have vented it top and bottom.  There are no windows.  It never sees the sun as it is under trees too.  The concrete slab was separated from the concrete slab of the house.  No UFH in it.  It is definitely colder than the rest of the house.  But as we are only mid way through our build I can't say how it is performing.  I will post more on it when we are moved in (hopefully this year at some point).  Current plan is to ply the walls before PB and plaster so we have as many shelving options as we want.  I am optimistic for it staying cool but need to see how it goes.

3 minutes ago, Weebles said:

We are incorporating a larder on the north side of our house.  It is insulated (less than the external walls of the house though) and connected to the house with a proper external door.  I have vented it top and bottom.  There are no windows.  It never sees the sun as it is under trees too.  The concrete slab was separated from the concrete slab of the house.  No UFH in it.  It is definitely colder than the rest of the house.  But as we are only mid way through our build I can't say how it is performing.  I will post more on it when we are moved in (hopefully this year at some point).  Current plan is to ply the walls before PB and plaster so we have as many shelving options as we want.  I am optimistic for it staying cool but need to see how it goes.

We’ll definitely be looking to do similar in our design, fortuitously for us the wall that makes most sense to put it on is north facing. 

Ceiling speakers in all main rooms wired back to a single source ( multiple pi’s ) . Quintec lighting for sure - all linked to a z wave based hub . 

Electronic ‘catch’ on door so can be unlocked from another room . Cctv external and some internal ( hallway face recognition) . Some old iPads wall mounted for control ( not everyone likes shouting at Alexa ) . Led strip lighting at bases of stairs ( z wave controlled of course ) . Cold water tap where that big American fridge freezer is going for inifinite ice ! ) . Qooker Tap as mentioned .

Edited by pocster

On 28/01/2019 at 22:16, Sue B said:

I would love to have that but just can’t get it in the plan.  A precious version had our kitchen at one end of the house purely to allow this type of larder arrangement.  Maybe i’ll give it another go.  I was always very jealous of MILs larder that had an 8inch window frame, no glazing but a wire mesh in the larder.  It was lovely and cool.

It is a good thing to run off a n facing porch or conservatory which can be used as a dog or cat space for overnight or if your cats are not winter outdoor hardy.

Can also save you £££££££ on a passive cat flap if outside the emvelope.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

• 3 months later...
On 28/01/2019 at 20:07, Cheib said:

We've a basement in our build, and will be building using ICF - the store/cellar room is shown built from ICF and unheated, so outside the thermal envelope. I can also remove the EPS after concrete is set so the room will be at ground temperature all year round 8c or so. Perfect for beer :)

• 3 months later...