Thermal Blinds

Onoff

Do thermal blinds work? I'm figuring metallic ones must as in reflecting heat back into the room.

I'd originally envisaged a blind external to the reveal to cover in part the 3 narrow rips above the reveal. I think though, once grouted they'll look OK.

So now thinking a blind in the recess.

20181130_233514.thumb.jpg.369dec09e8c46ef2eb1e04ee03a661ea.jpg

20181130_231348.thumb.jpg.d969363b3e5896f2b4e7f77573a061d7.jpg

Anyone used these?

https://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/energy-saving-thermal-blinds.htm?

We've just ordered some honeycomb blinds for our big gable windows, not for thermal reasons, but to add privacy at night.  Not cheap, especially as we need electrically operated blinds that will tilt up to the point of the gable.  In fact, not far off the added cost of fitting Sage glass, I suspect, especially when combined with the added cost of the heat reflective film we have already fitted.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

9 hours ago, Barney12 said:

The honeycombe / cellular blinds are definitely effective at reducing solar gain which I guess means they are effective at containing heat too? I’ve fitted the Luxaflex Duette blinds throughout my place.

We used these in our last build. The blackout ones were very effective. We’ll use them in the next build too.  They have a double honeycomb design called Architella now which is supposed to be more effective for solar gain/heat retention. Also can be motorised (called Powerview) and controlled via smartphone, Alexa etc.  They’ve announced that the motorisation is Apple HomeKit compatible in the US but not in the UK (yet?)

The Luxaflex UK website is not great so here’s a link to Vale Blinds who sell them:

https://valeblinds.com/blinds/duette-honeycomb-blinds/luxaflex/architella-duette

Not cheap, of course .....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JSHarris said:

We've just ordered some honeycomb blinds for our big gable windows, not for thermal reasons, but to add privacy at night.  Not cheap, especially as we need electrically operated blinds that will tilt up to the point of the gable.  In fact, not far off the added cost of fitting Sage glass, I suspect, especially when combined with the added cost of the heat reflective film we have already fitted.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Spot on, I’ve spent nearly £6k on Luxaflex blinds, and that’s just the bog standard manual ones. Not a lot more would have got me sage glass. 

........ah well next time ! #really? 

• 3 years later...
On 01/12/2018 at 23:32, Barney12 said:

Spot on, I’ve spent nearly £6k on Luxaflex blinds, and that’s just the bog standard manual ones. Not a lot more would have got me sage glass. 

........ah well next time ! #really? 

Wow, that's a lot of money, but I assume it was worth it? I'm looking at these now to help prevent over heating from solar gain. Do you know if there is any difference in the insulation properties between the 25mm, 32mm and 64mm varieties available on the site you linked to (here: https://valeblinds.com/dept/luxaflex®-duette®_d011040.htm)?