Loft insualtion

Hi, 

We've had extra loft insulation put down in our attic which obviously has raised it up above the joists. I wanted to board over the joists but understand I'd have to use loft legs which will cost and also only good for storage. 

Can anyone tell me if, rather than have the extra insulation on the floor of the attic can I remove and have it on the ceiling between roof rafters? Then board the floor as normal with tongue and groove.

Many thanks

7 minutes ago, Invader75 said:

Can anyone tell me if, rather than have the extra insulation on the floor of the attic can I remove and have it on the ceiling between roof rafters? Then board the floor as normal with tongue and groove.

Only if no air enters the loft from outside.

3 minutes ago, Invader75 said:

How do you mean and what should I be looking for? 

Cold external air entering the loft/attic will displace relatively warm air between the two layers of insulation making the rafter layer ineffective. The loft as originally designed must be air tight. No ventilators, particularly in the soffit, no day light visible from inside the loft, particularly at gutter level.

1 minute ago, A_L said:

Thanks, so probably better and cheaper to raise up the floor using the existing insulation already in place?

Cold external air entering the loft/attic will displace relatively warm air between the two layers of insulation making the rafter layer ineffective. The loft as originally designed must be air tight. No ventilators, particularly in the soffit, no day light visible from inside the loft, particularly at gutter level.

If you are looking to board over areas of your attic simply for storage/walking on, then you could just add some timbers on top of your joists. This may then allow you to add boards over the top without squishing down your insulation. That's what I have done in some places where I have needed to store stuff ("junk" as the wife calls it). You could probably also make your own loft legs out of some timber but it would have to be secured to stop any swaying!

Whilst we’re on this subject I have a similar issue in that the insulation is above the joists. I need to lay boards down a path to get to the MVHR every 3 months or so. Don’t need to use them other than that. I thought I might pull the extra insulation out of that bit, add the boards and then put the insulation back over the top (I’ll roll it back when I need to use the boards). Can I do that or is that approach flawed?