PP Conditions

Hecateh

When I got planning permission the following condition didn't worry me as I was going to be finished and moved in by May and had plenty of money to pay for a drive - if not the drive I really wanted.

However, things have changed, and 'sometime in December' I am moving in with no internal doors, no skirting or architraves and crucially, currently only a hardcore drive.  The drive will be made more 'permanent' once the sale of this house has gone through and I have a lump sum in my account.  This house is sold subject to contract and, if all goes according to plan, completion date should be mid January

The lump sum will be considerable smaller than originally expected and has to provide most of my living expenses for the next 2 years until I can claim my state pension.

Questions

1. Would a hardcore drive that is quite packed at the entrance so is not actually 'loose' stone meet the planning condition?

2. If not, what is the minimum I can do to meet the condition? (I seem to remember someone saying on here that the council could only enforce the 'not loose stone' for a certain length between the road and the drive.)

3. What is the cheapest, half decent, driveway I can have constructed once I have access to some money?

4.  If I leave it as is, for now, what, if anything, is the council likely to do about it?

5. Do the council actually come out and inspect the property to see if the everything conforms with plans?

The parking/manoeuvring facilities, indicated on the submitted plan, shall be surfaced in a
solid bound material (i.e. not loose chippings) and made available for the manoeuvring and
parking of motor vehicles prior to the development being brought into use, and shall be
retained for that sole purpose at all times.
Reason: To ensure that satisfactory off-street parking/manoeuvring areas are
provided, in the interests of highway safety and the free flow of traffic and in
accordance with Core Strategy Policy CSP 26, New Development and Highway
Improvement.

I would not worry.  If you are parking off road that is all they want.

In our case it was stipulated that only the first 3 metres from the highway be surfaced in a sold material, we used just the base layer of tarmac for that.

And we moved in with no doors, skirtings etc. We have a cardboard door on the bathroom.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave. 

Yeah - am not remotely worried about the internal stuff, there's only me there most of the time.  It is only the driveway that is my real concern.  Luckily planning condition were never added to the planning portal so my neighbours are not aware of the condition - if they were they would report me continually lol

54 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

5. Do the council actually come out and inspect the property to see if the everything conforms with plans?

Not in my case. I suspect they rely on someone complaining and then comparing it to the PP conditions by exception. Just don't upset your neighbours - they may not have seen the conditions but might complain if your hardcore spills into the road.

57 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

3. What is the cheapest, half decent, driveway I can have constructed once I have access to some money?

Cheapest is likely to be tarmac or waste concrete (e.g. surplus from a pour elsewhere) over the appropriate solid core. 'Half-decent' is tricky, your hell could be my heaven.

Blockwork tends to be most expensive, though I am sure others will chip in with more expensive options - like gold-plated taps, I did not believe they could exist when I first heard of them!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

Not in my case. I suspect they rely on someone complaining and then comparing it to the PP conditions by exception. Just don't upset your neighbours - they may not have seen the conditions but might complain if your hardcore spills into the road.

Will make sure that doesn't happen.  

The concern is a none material change in design.  I have no doubt it would have been passed but after asking the architect to put it in to planning I never heard any more so suspect it wasn't done

10 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

Cheapest is likely to be tarmac or waste concrete (e.g. surplus from a pour elsewhere) over the appropriate solid core. 'Half-decent' is tricky, your hell could be my heaven.

Blockwork tends to be most expensive, though I am sure others will chip in with more expensive options - like gold-plated taps, I did not believe they could exist when I first heard of them!

Yeah! considering tarmac as what I wanted was bound gravel but that too is very expensive.  I don't really like blockwork but I do have a pallet and a half of bricks left over so  it could be an option for a border, including a strip at the beginning of the drive

4 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

I do have a pallet and a half of bricks left over so  it could be an option for a border, including a strip at the beginning of the drive

Can’t use facing bricks in driveways as they aren’t rated for it and will break and crumble very quickly. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Can’t use facing bricks in driveways as they aren’t rated for it and will break and crumble very quickly. 

Good point.

Engineering bricks would be from about £400-500 per 1000 if yu wanted those for the first 1m. You could probably do something with a pattern of reds and blues as one option. Blues would be a bit more.

It would be like the finish line at the Indy 500, which has iirc a yard (!""£$%^&* Yanks and their Georgian units) of bricks in memory that the course used to be a brickyard.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

My PP states that my drive has to be tarmac. I wasn’t even aware until I asked the council to send me a copy of the PP for the VAT reclaim. There was already tarmac for a few metres where the drive joins the road but I have never bothered with the remainder of the driveway. Unless someone complains I plan on leaving it be. 

Apart from road edge to gateline, ie the visibility splay area, usually 4.5m I think....I cant imagine why they are trying to dictate tarmac all over your drive and personally i'd look to have the condition removed.  In the interests of storm water management surely they shouldn't be unnecessarily promoting the use of non permeable surfacing. chuck some gravel down.

15 minutes ago, mvincentd said:

Apart from road edge to gateline, ie the visibility splay area, usually 4.5m I think....I cant imagine why they are trying to dictate tarmac all over your drive and personally i'd look to have the condition removed.  In the interests of storm water management surely they shouldn't be unnecessarily promoting the use of non permeable surfacing. chuck some gravel down.

They haven't said I had to have tarmac they said it has to be a semi permeable hard surface.

Road edge to gate line is zero.  I'm off to the side at the end of a cul de sac that slopes down towards me and my garden continues the slope down.  So my property is right up to the road edge.  

I'm not going to stir the pot.  If they do pick up on it and try to enforce it that will be the time to say to get it removed on the grounds that it is unreasonable

• Like 1

I wouldn't fret, the council are unlikely to do anything to you, unless the neighbours complain. But BMBC are enforcing this as a condition with a developer in Barnsley. It does need to be a solid bound material, tarmac, paving etc.

• Thanks 1