Just been dropped a bombshell, any suggestions?

The firm doing my electrics & plumbing has just dropped a bombshell by saying they are too busy to do anymore work on my house until January.

He was actually quite rude to me (not the first time)saying that I am putting them under pressure & he had accepted other work because I was not ready for them.

This is rubbish. There has been outstanding work for ages I have been waiting to be done.

I am beside myself.

I need to get building control sign off before Feb so I can apply for the FIT for PV.

I am at 2nd fix stage but need some first fix finishing before I can get the plastering finished.

I will now have to cancel the tiler as the shower try is not fitted.

I am just trying to get the absolute minimum done to get through sign off.

I work full time & so I can only work at the house in the evenings or the 1 day a week off I have.

Would it be possible to get someone else at this stage.

Will he need to issue the electrical certificate or can I get someone else to do this?

• Sad 5

Be very careful at this stage, we had someone do first fix and then disappear, and now we can't get BC sign off, because the person who is being certified needs to have both designed and installed the electrics. Basically it all needs ripping out and re-doing, but its plastered now.

Hopefully they are still visible, in which case another firm could easily take over and assess what is already there.

9 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Be very careful at this stage, we had someone do first fix and then disappear, and now we can't get BC sign off, because the person who is being certified needs to have both designed and installed the electrics. Basically it all needs ripping out and re-doing, but its plastered now.

Hopefully they are still visible, in which case another firm could easily take over and assess what is already there.

A scheme member? If so take it up with their scheme provider.

• Like 1

The trouble with the crazy competent persons schemes we have, virtually no electrician in the land will sign off work he has not done, so you are stuck with that electrician.

A compromise might be suggest they concentrate on finishing the wiring and signing it off, and get someone else to finish the plumbing?

Do you actually need building control sign off for the FIT?  You will need the as built EPC but I would be asking the surveyor what is stopping that being issued now.  Then you just need the paperwork for the FIT kit, not the whole house.  I would bet if you have the paperwork in order, you could apply for the FIT even if it is not working.  

If the solar PV were to be connected by a different electrician, he could issue an EIC for that, without rubbing the other electrician up the wrong way too much.

• Like 1

I have had similar with a plumber whose GAS SAFE expired but luckily I had another plumber who was willing to do all the commissioning.

Like @ProDave said, just focus on the bits essential for FIT and I doubt that means BC completion cert for the whole job.  If you need the EPC you will need an air test, so doors and windows need to be in.

Good luck and sorry these idiots let you down.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Head of building control inspected everything before it was boarded & plastered. I have left a message asking for his advice.

The plumbing is just the pipework. Nothing installed yet other than the concealed cisterns.

Another company installed the UFH when they did the screed. It is not connected to anything yet.

Looking at the process described here you will need the MCS certificate (their bold)....

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2014/12/how-to-apply-for-the-feed-in-tariff-fit

Registering for FiTs

After you install your renewable system, there are a few specific steps that you must follow in order to register for FiTs. Firstly, you should ask your installer to register you on the central MCS database. Your installer will then send you the certificate confirming your system’s MCS compliance. Afterwards you must contact your FiT supplier that you want to register to the FiT scheme and send them the following:

• A proper completed application form.

• The MCS certificate.

• Just for solar PV, you must send the Energy Performance Certificate that shows your household reaches the energy efficiency rating band D or better

Subsequently, your Feed-in Tariff supplier will undergo the next steps such as:

• Cross-reference your installation with the MCS database and other eligibility checks.

• Must confirm your qualification and the date you are eligible for payments from.

• Will add you to the Ofgem Central FiT Register, which documents all installations integrated in the FiT scheme.

• Find mutually beneficial times with you if and when you require to provide meter readings and when the scheme should make the payments to you.

So speak to your PV installer to ask what they need you to provide before they can issue the MCS cert.

My thinking is you will need the electric supply to the house connected. The electric co might be reluctant to do that if the CU isn't finished. Perhaps they would if the tails from the meter only went to an (extra) 100A isolation switch in the cabinet and not onwards to the CU?

Edit sorry the formatting got messed up and it won't let me fix it. Last two paragraphs are mine and shouldn't be in same quote block.

Edited by Temp

6 hours ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

The firm doing my electrics & plumbing has just dropped a bombshell by saying they are too busy to do anymore work on my house until January.

He was actually quite rude to me (not the first time)saying that I am putting them under pressure & he had accepted other work because I was not ready for them.

This is rubbish. There has been outstanding work for ages I have been waiting to be done.

I am beside myself.

I need to get building control sign off before Feb so I can apply for the FIT for PV.

I am at 2nd fix stage but need some first fix finishing before I can get the plastering finished.

I will now have to cancel the tiler as the shower try is not fitted.

I am just trying to get the absolute minimum done to get through sign off.

I work full time & so I can only work at the house in the evenings or the 1 day a week off I have.

Would it be possible to get someone else at this stage.

Will he need to issue the electrical certificate or can I get someone else to do this?

Hi Moira,

I am also in the East Midlands area and virtually finished my build, if you need any trades recommending let me know.  We had a firm of electricians so they may have capacity to help you out rather than a small company.  Also a plumbing company that also does renewable s who might be able to help.  Just pm me if you want any details

• Like 1

If it helps, I registered for the FiT in March and don't have a BC completion certificate yet. As above, you do need the MCS certificate and enough done to get an epc, so just focus on what needs to be done to get those bits of paper.  You can always get another epc done at a later date to truly reflect the finished house if necessary.  My architect did the epc from details I supplied, which may or may not have been more of a 'to do' list at the time.  Just sayin...?

I am truly grateful for your suggestions & support guys.

I was too upset last night to get my head around it.

The work done so far is really good. It is the total lack of communication & plain courtesy that is missing.

He has clearly taken on too much work & has put himself under pressure.

That doesn't mean it is acceptable to shout at me on the telephone.

He was supposed to be back next week.

He now tells me that he has moved onto another job & will not leave that until it is finished at Christmas.

He has suggested he may come back on 7/1/19.

It was only when I called him yesterday he informed me of this. If I hadn't called he wouldn't have let me know.

I have been overcharged for the work done so far & that is still not sorted out although it has been acknowledged and agreed it is the case.

@Roundtuit your post is a huge relief. I had misunderstood & thought I had to have BC sign off before registering for FiT.

My main problem is time.

Because I work full time & days off are often taken up by hospital appointments for Henry my time on the build is limited.

I work in the house most evenings after work until about 9.30pm. It is more difficult now with only task lighting.

I was desperate to get the plastering finished for Christmas so I would have time to assemble & fit the utility room on days off during the holidays.

It is only the hallway, d/s W/C & utility room that is not plastered, but these are the spaces I now need to work on & are at a standstill.

At most there is probably 1 days work for a plumber & 1 days work for the electrician to get me to this stage. The rest can be done in the New Year.

Our joiner, who is also a personal friend is back tonight.

I will ask him if he can help with the ducting to the outside for the MVHR & a couple of cables ducts for the security cameras.

I will call the electrician/plumbers again today to see if he is prepared to just come back for 1 day.

If not I will be exploring the alternatives suggested.

I was almost starting to get excited again about the house.

Not felt that since the ground works were done nearly 2 years ago.

Seems now back to the same old dismal slog.

If it wasn't for this forum I'd have put a match to the bloody thing by now.

• Thanks 1

This time last year I was working late, by crappy work lights, freezing my peripherals off, desperately trying to stay ahead of the plasterers. Now I'm sat in shorts and t-shirt watching Holly Willoughby!   Stick with it; hope and plan for the best, and take what comes in your stride.  This time next year the pain will already have started to fade!

• Like 3

On 29/11/2018 at 09:54, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

If it wasn't for this forum I'd have put a match to the bloody thing by now.

me too - probably with me inside it

Edited by Hecateh
  • Haha 1