Marking out joist hangers . Not as easy as I thought

I can't say I wasn't warned........

Our wall-plates are up (and seem to be still there: surprised eh?).  But, since we used Durisol blocks we had to make sure that the Thunderbolts Bolts  are embedded in concrete. Not the wooden jacket  which wraps the concrete.  Tickety boo thus far. Staggered and roughly at 600 centers, concrete and rebar allowing.

While waiting for my little local difficulty to be sorted out, I thought I'd lay out the joists at 400 mm centers just like the big man told me.

Yep, you guessed it, occasionally the Thunderbolts get in the sodding way.  And if they don't get in the way on one side , they will on the other.

So common sense says move the mark to avoid the bolt and match the move on the other wall-plate. 

How on earth do I make sure the mark on the opposite wall is at right angles to the first mark?

Measure? Do me a favour, the bloody place is as square as a jelly

Buy another laser? Yeah yeah, yeah! Oh, hold on I need to buy more joists.. Damn.

Pythagoras Theorem for getting things square.....and a long tape.

Knock up a quick jig that'll hook over or screw to your wall plate over the Thunderbolt position & use that to guide your flat wood bit for counterboring. It'll have no meat to centre on 'coz of the existing bolt hole. Flat wood bit a bit oversize to suit the socket you're using to wind the bolt in.

6 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Next time mark up the wall plates before you start,[...]

I thought you'd disappeared into wedded bliss, son.

Next time? Next time ?

Va te faire enquiquiner chez les Greques.

(Tr. Vulg. Go and let yourself be seen to by a Greek man. Common affectionate French insult)

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

[...] Flat wood bit a bit oversize to suit the socket you're using to wind the bolt in.

Hmm, and I'll have to have my SDS to hand because - being an anal German (Vorsprung Durch Technik, Heil Himmler) I drilled the concrete 5mm deeper than needed. 'Cos zats fot I voz told to do. 

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

How on earth do I make sure the mark on the opposite wall is at right angles to the first mark?

Measure? Do me a favour, the bloody place is as square as a jelly

Buy another laser? Yeah yeah, yeah! Oh, hold on I need to buy more joists.. Damn.

drill them  AS A PAIR ON THE GROUND  BEFORE FITTING

1 minute ago, recoveringacademic said:

Erm, yer talking to me. Not someone who would knowingly, willingly move a joist without a big fuss and a lot of overthought.

thought should come before hand 

you remeber what your wood work teacher told you 

measure 3 times ,mark twice ,cut once 

1 minute ago, scottishjohn said:

drill them  AS A PAIR ON THE GROUND  BEFORE FITTING

Too late mate. They're sneering at me from the wall. 

Still, now John has brought us back to the OP, how would any of you experienced people transfer a mark  from one wall-plate 90 degrees to the wall-plate on the opposite wall?

Pythagoras Theorem for getting things square.....and a long tape.

Knock up a quick jig that'll hook over or screw to your wall plate over the Thunderbolt position & use that to guide your flat wood bit for counterboring. It'll have no meat to centre on 'coz of the existing bolt hole. Flat wood bit a bit oversize to suit the socket you're using to wind the bolt in. Flat washer same size as socket.

you want low techthat will work 

one piece of wood which is long enough to sit over 2 joist at 600 cntre -make another piece which you nail to first piece -the lengthof which is correct to make the next joist 600mm centre from first one . make 2 of these and use them as spacing guides--it just drops over top of the joists and spaces them for you

start at one end and get first joist square to walls or what ever you want it squre too --then just keep moving along.

has to be square and correct spacing= floor sheeting will match up

the second piece will be 60m less the width of your top runner on the joist

first piece make it 700mm long -nail second piece inmiddle of it

Edited by scottishjohn