Let there be (more) light...

daiking

I have a room approx 3x3m ceiling 2.4m high. It has a single central light fitting. This has 3 mini globe 5w LED bulbs. The room is east facing and struggle for natural light but it also used when it is dark.

Whilst the current light fitting is more than adequate for normal use, it is not bright enough for my wife to use for work. She offers a variety of treatments. For the really fiddly stuff she uses a magnifying led light visor but for more general stuff the room light  is not bright enough. Her clients will often be laying down looking at the ceiling (and light)

She needs a simple retrofit light fitting that is quite a bit brighter than the current one that does not blind her clients but doesn’t want to turn what is supposed to a relaxed environment into a dental examination room.

I have looked at retrofit LED single panel lights in the order of 24W but am unsure if it will be both, not bright enough for the whole room and too bright for the person lying down.

A freestanding light would be a PITA but some wall mounted uplights might be possible (with trailing wall wires).

what sort of lighting should I be looking for?

Edited by daiking

11 minutes ago, oldkettle said:

I bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00LGWQB6I to replace ours. 20W E27 LEDs work really well. If you find something similar, but with bulbs pointing up, rather than down, it will likely be good enough. 

Thanks. The current fitting is that configuration but only 3 lamps not 5 and they are much smaller lamps. We have a 3 lamp Ikea Basisk elsewhere in the house and are considering using something like that. The lamps do face down but can be angled away from a direct shine.

• 11 months later...

So...

This needs looking at again, I was thinking a small-ish (600x300) LED panel flush mounted in the ceiling, about 4000K in colour and must be dimmable.

Is that going to be a simple swap for what is just traditional ceiling light to a 1 gang switch? I've been looking at some panels and when you can find a dimmable one, the configuration of dimmers and drivers has confused me, totally.