My knees need a ladder

Gottda face it, my knees are shot. They're has-been-knees, dead knees; I know a dead knee when I see one and I can see two of them now (well it's early).

Getting up and down from the trestles (as opposed to a scaffold - there's progress for ya!) I wobble like a jelly, not having the courage at the top of the steps to press hard with just one knee. 

How do I safely get up on to a trestle?  Yes: I know use a ladder: but how do you fix the ladder solidly so that transitioning from the ladder to the planking is safe and steady?

I need a handrail-grab-thingy....

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

small 2 step ladder is good for hopping up onto trestles.

Its the hopping operation that's dangerous to me. Unsupported, my knees will on some occasions give way. It would almost be better if they gave way every single time.

I take the point about fastening the ladder to the trestle; in addition I need the equivalent of a sawn-off Zimmer frame at the top. Now there's an idea........ anyone got a spare Zimmer?

Rather than trestles I use scaffold tower sections, multiples of 2’, dont put the boards on the top, one or two layers lower then you have a handrail either side. I have a short ladder that I tie on to climb up. Advantage also is you can drag the whole thing around whereas trestles you have to dismantle. If you have a long section (conservatory guttering for example) two short towers and planks between. A year ago my knees were fine but this year so much worse, my tower is like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steel-Scaffold-Tower-With-Boards-Accessories/292832824126?hash=item442e324b3e:g:Q2YAAOSwVP5b-pLN

Edited by joe90

My knees have only just recovered from setting levels on my concrete floor ready for the SLC. Like some have said you need to buy the right tools to aid ones old age (me included). I am looking at a trolley for mixing/pouring self leveling and tile adhesive and possibly an upright spreader so I am stood up doing a lot of the jobs instead of kneeling. WE have to look after ourselves Ian.

As @joe90 but aluminium scaffold tower. Deck at any height from just off the ground to 5 metres in increments of 250 mm. Handrails both sides at height, usually just one side as convenient when low down. Decks have a trap door to climb up through when high up but when low down (metre or so) it's easy to just clamber on or step off a step ladder holding on to the scaffold itself.

Set up a bit oddly but only photo I have of it with the deck at one metre attached. The posts are each a one metre section on top of a two metre section. The top one metre is only really there 'cause that's how I'd had it set up earlier.

img_1595-medium.jpg

• Like 1

I have dodgy knees too. I have recently been seeing a physio who has introduced me to the wonders of kinetic tape.  It's amazing stuff and makes a massive difference - it holds my knee together and stops it going too far and hurting.  This in turn reduces damage and inflamation.  I live in Scotland so I have been able to take advantage of a scheme here that allows the self employed to jump the queue for physio if your injury is preventing you from doing your job somehow.  It might be worth seeing of NHS England does something similar.  It is called 'Working Health Services' here.

I must admit I bought a decent set of trade steps after my “shed” pair collapsed under me and I was very lucky not to have broken anything (apart from the steps). I would never buy cheap steps again. It’s like most things, decent tools do a better job.