Internal Fire Doors

Ed_MK

Hi,

I am about to purchase my internal doors

they are all solid "cottage style doors" ...you know the ones with an oak veneer

like these:

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Hardwood-Oak-Suffolk-Internal-Door-1981mm-x-838mm-x-35mm/p/480461?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr6qNpObz3gIVD53tCh0hbg1DEAQYBCABEgJDtfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Now my joiner has asked me do any have to be "fire rated" ..I have ploughed through the building regs and I am 

a little confused (its usual)

some bits seem to suggest that its only over 2 stories or garages or something

some other sites refer to FD30 and FD60 and special door linings...

some say 35mm cant be fire rated and i should go for 44mm

I do WANT to make it a safe job, as we are nearing a build though... money is tight and I dont want to fit

£200 doors that would shield the space shuttle if i dont have to ....well not in all doorways anyway !

I dont have many doors downstairs as it is open plan ...just lounge, a small wc and utility really

but upstairs there are bedroom and bathrooms, en-suite etc

I suppose there are 2 questions ....

a) what is the legal requirement?

b) would you go above and beyond in certain rooms ..just to be safe?

I have spent so much time making sure that any insulation is fire rated, and made sure that cavities, breaks

and battens are all done well and doubled up where i could..so i dont want to skimp on places where it really matters

..if you get me

1 hour ago, Ed_MK said:

Hi,

I am about to purchase my internal doors

they are all solid "cottage style doors" ...you know the ones with an oak veneer

like these:

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Hardwood-Oak-Suffolk-Internal-Door-1981mm-x-838mm-x-35mm/p/480461?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr6qNpObz3gIVD53tCh0hbg1DEAQYBCABEgJDtfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Now my joiner has asked me do any have to be "fire rated" ..I have ploughed through the building regs and I am 

a little confused (its usual)

some bits seem to suggest that its only over 2 stories or garages or something

some other sites refer to FD30 and FD60 and special door linings...

some say 35mm cant be fire rated and i should go for 44mm

I do WANT to make it a safe job, as we are nearing a build though... money is tight and I dont want to fit

£200 doors that would shield the space shuttle if i dont have to ....well not in all doorways anyway !

I dont have many doors downstairs as it is open plan ...just lounge, a small wc and utility really

but upstairs there are bedroom and bathrooms, en-suite etc

I suppose there are 2 questions ....

a) what is the legal requirement?

b) would you go above and beyond in certain rooms ..just to be safe?

I have spent so much time making sure that any insulation is fire rated, and made sure that cavities, breaks

and battens are all done well and doubled up where i could..so i dont want to skimp on places where it really matters

..if you get me

You are correct 

over two story and into an integral garage Is a b R requirement 

So you should be ok to put whatever type of door on 

When a fire door is required it’s normall marked clearly on your drawing 

To act as a fire door it has to be closed!

The only door in our house we ever close is the front door.

I wouldn't go putting them where they aren't 'required' therefore.....and where they are required that requirement extends to them needing to have an auto-closer.

11 minutes ago, mvincentd said:

and where they are required that requirement extends to them needing to have an auto-closer.

So that was removed from the Building Regs last revision for some reason ....!

I’ve added intumescent strips to frames more recently at the request of the BCO. In the big scheme of things they aren’t expensive. 

• Like 1