Recommended Posts

My house is recently plastered and I have noticed that we have some mould appearing largely on areas that are plasterboard behind and some tdoor frames.

I have tried to keep the place ventilated as much as possible to allow for drying.

What should I do with this or how should I treat before painting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

new house or renovation?

you gotta dry it out before anything --check plaster with moisture meter

dehumidifiers?--turn on the heating ?

Edited by scottishjohn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dehumidifier and mvhr on if you have it.  We were painting 2 days after the plasterer left it dried so quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a new house.

There is no provision for heating as yet and only temp electrics. Mvhr is has not been 2nd fixed as yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Industrial dehumidifier will sort it - need to get the humidity down asap as the mould spores in the plaster will cause issues. 

 

A dehumidifer should have its own small heat source in it - we use sheets of 25mm insulation over doorways to stop the heat loss into other areas and run them a room at a time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do I get rid of the mould that is already appearing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mild bleach solution in a spray bottle. How long has the plaster been up for ..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PeterW said:

Mild bleach solution in a spray bottle. How long has the plaster been up for ..?

Probably been up about 8 weeks or so.

Edited by vfrdave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be dry - I would get a couple of industrial dehumifiers for a week and get the place properly dried out then bleach solution before any paint. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed with the above.  We had a flood from the 1st floor in a completed unit and went for doors and windows closed and industrial dehumidifiers and radiant heaters on full blast for a couple of weeks.  It limited the damage and there has been no mould growth, just redecoration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just one of them things that happens this time of year.  It's been miserable this last few weeks with it being cold and wet so your walls are drying out but have no air flow or  heat too evaporate the moisture away.  A Dehumidifier will aid this process along. 

As above a mild bleach and some elbow grease will take it off no problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now