Grid Connection

GrantMcscott

Hi

I am building a house in Scotland and have had a quote from Scottish Power Networks for a connection to the grid.  They have a list of about 50 to 60 alternative providers that can do the work so I would like to compare the quote.  https://www.spenergynetworks.co.uk/userfiles/file/Active_ICPs.pdf

Not sure who I should contact though for another couple of quotes

Has any one had any experience with this

thanks

Are you on your own or near other houses?

£12K even with a new transformer sounds very steep. A local near here paid £10K which included undergrounding about 200 metres of 11KV overhead line, provision of a new transformer and the supply.

If there is an existing transformer can you avoid the need for upgrading it by accepting a lower KVA supply rating?  I accepted their offer of a 12KVA supply as I am sure if I had asked for more there would have been a cost for upgrading the local transformer.

How much from the pole to the house in distance ..?? 

If the whole of the transformer cost is being passed to you then you should be able to argue that either they give you the full capacity, or if it’s shared in the future that you get a rebate on the costs. 

For comparison, I paid £1,300 for a 4m connection from a main no more than 450mm down in an unmade road ... 

You are drip feeding us details.

How many properties?

Single or 3 phase supply requested?

What rating (how many KVA) have you asked for or been offered?

How far from the 3 phase overhead to your plot?

Is that going to be overhead or underground? if so who is doing the digging?

Is the 11KV overhead being altered in any way or just a transformer and your connection?  It may well require an upgraded pole or twin poles for the transformer)  11Kv work will require a partial network shutdown, that is not done live.

Hi Dave sorry to answer your questions 

How many properties? 1

Single or 3 phase supply requested? Single

What rating (how many KVA) have you asked for or been offered? 20 KVA

How far from the 3 phase overhead to your plot? I would say about 100 meters 

Is that going to be overhead or underground? if so who is doing the digging? Underground and I will do the civils

Is the 11KV overhead being altered in any way or just a transformer and your connection?  It may well require an upgraded pole or twin poles for the transformer)  11Kv work will require a partial network shutdown, that is not done live. they have not stated

thanks

I think it’s well documented how much SP energy quoted me-almost 25k! There was no capacity left in the existing transformer, they couldn’t even give me 12kva as was suggested on here, there are 5 plots next to me which they said if they eventually asked for a supply (within 5 years) I would get a partial refund. We went back and forth trying to find a solution, we got a quote from another contractor of £8k to do the digging but we still would have had another £10k to pay for the cable.Just when I was losing the will to live I had a eureka moment and threatened to serve them notice on the pole that was on my land, the outcome of which was they did everything for under £5k!

1 hour ago, GrantMcscott said:

Hi Dave sorry to answer your questions 

How many properties? 1

Single or 3 phase supply requested? Single

What rating (how many KVA) have you asked for or been offered? 20 KVA

How far from the 3 phase overhead to your plot? I would say about 100 meters 

Is that going to be overhead or underground? if so who is doing the digging? Underground and I will do the civils

Is the 11KV overhead being altered in any way or just a transformer and your connection?  It may well require an upgraded pole or twin poles for the transformer)  11Kv work will require a partial network shutdown, that is not done live. they have not stated

thanks

I would ask them for a detailed breakdown of how they arrive at that cost.  As I say a friend near here had a LOT more work done on the HV network  for £10K

When you get that post the cost breakdown on here.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, GrantMcscott said:

Well I was thinking in not connecting and getting PV, turbine and 2 powerwall's

Will the Tesla Powerwall work in island mode?  I suspect that it may not (yet), and so need to be grid tied.

There are inverters that will happily work in island mode around for off-grid installations, but I'm not sure how these might be integrated into the Tesla systems.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/powerwall/faqs#off-grid

“If you are in a remote area without access to grid power, Powerwall and solar can offer an off-grid solution. For our remote off-grid offering, please place a deposit here and someone will contact you to discuss further.”

But a bit further down:

“I have a wind turbine/hydro turbine. Can I charge Powerwall with it?
Powerwall does not currently integrate with other renewable generation equipment. Please stay tuned for future updates.”