Joists 100mm short of a picnic. Trying to maintain my sense of humour....

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Embarrassing question time: WHO got the measurement wrong on the order?

Surprisingly, not me. 

The supplier's rep was quite open and frank about it: he's even been honest enough to transfer my  annotation ( 'This dimension is the internal wall dimension, not taking into account the 50mm timber bearer' ) on his initial plan.

BCO pointed out that since there are no POSI Joist guidelines equivalent to the TRADA ones, he can't advise on whether its possible to compensate for the error.

Looks like the suppliers will need to replace them. Pity - it'll be costly.

16 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Surprisingly, not me. 

The supplier's rep was quite open and frank about it: he's even been honest enough to transfer my  annotation ( 'This dimension is the internal wall dimension, not taking into account the 50mm timber bearer' ) on his initial plan.

That's a relief. It will cost you time, but not money.

4 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Think whoever was holding the  important bit of the tape measure  and the pencil that day will now be only holding the stupid end. 

it both ends of the measuring tape were wrong, as whoever took the measurement took it from the inside of the timber, not the actual wall.

Just now, Moonshine said:

it both ends of the measuring tape were wrong, as whoever took the measurement took it from the inside of the timber, not the actual wall.

Funny thing, but my Fibron surveyors tape has a 100mm offset start point on the Imperial measurement side.  No idea why, but if you just use the grippy hook thing on the end of the tape, when working single handedly, then Imperial measurements will be out by 100mm, as the zero starts 100mm in from the end.

Not a problem when working in metric, but I bet it's the sort of odd quirk that's caught a few people out.  I've had the tape for many years, but never understood what the zero offset on one side is about.

25 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Think whoever was holding the  important bit of the tape measure  and the pencil that day will now be only holding the stupid end. 

Bosch laser innit?

I must have re-measured all the spans five or six times, And once with Debbie checking my measurements table 

(Nearly wrote measurements  there before remembering what field day  @Onoff would have )

Glad it wasn’t you Ian, let the supplier sort it and explain it’s urgent and holding up work. I once worked on a loft conversion for a friend and we were installed an RSJ in the ridge, crane arrived, road blocked, steel lifted ........and that was 100mm short, friend forgot to add 100mm EACH end, very embarrassing for him and costly ?

24 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Is that a photo angle thing, is the pole plate the same depth as the joist. 

Yes, Russell, I think it is a (photographic) 'angle thing' .

I'm not sure what a pole plate is, but the POSI joist is a good few ml lower than the wall plate (sometimes called rim joist). So the bottom chord of the POSI is 'free' - to the extent that the joist hangers will allow it to swing. 

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Bosch laser innit?

I must have re-measured all the spans five or six times, And once with Debbie checking my measurements table 

(Nearly wrote measurements  there before remembering what field day  @Onoff would have )

Exactly you checked and checked again and then even had your good wife check again.  How many times did the joint guy check?? 

Never really liked them things.  A good old fashioned metal tape measure never gave me the wrong number yet. Now me transferring the number my eye sees and the number the pencil recorded has resulted in a few head scratching moments.