Staircase to poured screed detail

dpmiller

So we've currently got posijoists and Caberdek and I'd like to have the upstairs prepped to pour the screed sooner rather than later. What trimming is normally done to the landing area prior to screed- a 3"x2" on flat or somesuch? Obviously there needs something to contain the wet mix, but subsequently the staircase and balustrade need structure to attach to and I'm guessing that treading on the edge of the screed and/or drilling into it's perimeter are bad juju.

@ProDave because of the extra solidity it brings to the house underfoot and in terms of noise transmission and also because we want wet UFH in some rooms. It does give a great feel. Posijoists and ceiling heights have been calculated for it...

@the_r_sole the supplier prefers at least 25mm over pipes so 45-50mm. It certainly seems to be a thing over here as some of our TF quotes included the load calculation without our requesting it.

Pozis are 254x 75/90 at 400ctrs with a max span of 5040. I'll ask, but I doubt there's a standard detail for it as screed thickness will vary between brands and no doubt ther's a number of ways to build and hang a staircase anyway?

4 hours ago, dpmiller said:

Must admit I hadn't, Dave. Why do you think matching it to the stair would be so much easier? There's still a structural floor and a finished floor either way.

Well you already have a floor deck, so you would just add 25 by 50mm battens to contain the UFH pipes and dry screed, then finished flooring on top.

So it is a simple matter to add a simple packing piece such that the nosing of the top stair ends at finished floor height.  You can do that and fit the stairs later. 

Doing a wet pour up to the stairs would mean you have to guess exactly where the stairs finish, put some shuttering to contain the pour and no doubt have a bit to finish later.  Or don't do the pour until the stairs are in.

A dry mix is so much easier to get upstairs and lay.

• 2 months later...