Fixing joists to the wallplate

Wallplates are nearly all up now. ??

Can I screw the joists to the wallplate before I attach the joist hanger?

I ask because I'm doing it on my own and I think I may be able to fix the joists more accurately by screwing them first and fitting the joist hanger after I am satisfied with the position of the joist. 

I cannot see why you would do it this way. When you mark the wall plate for the spacing you would trust your pencil line (measure twice an all) so why not just attach the hangers and this will make your life a lot easier Ian. Just be in time for the Patten arms opening if you get a move on!

Mark the inside edge of the joist on the wall plate and fix the hanger onto the plate lined up with this. Only fix one side permanently - a couple of screws will hold the other side of the bracket. Drop the joist in , tighten up the bracket and finish fixing and move on to the next ...

23 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Mark the inside edge of the joist on the wall plate and fix the hanger onto the plate lined up with this. Only fix one side permanently - a couple of screws will hold the other side of the bracket. Drop the joist in , tighten up the bracket and finish fixing and move on to the next ...

What I always do ( as it’s a one man or one man plus slave job then ). 

You can also just screw a 5x2” to the underside of the plate to create a shelf for the joist to sit on. One screw down from the top, through the joist into the plate, and then drop the shelf back off to fit the hangers. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Temporary screws to hold them in ..?? No reason not to as long as you don’t split the joist ends. 

And don't forget to use twist nails for the hangers - screws are a no-no ..!!

How come screws are a no-no?

Just now, Vijay said:

How come screws are a no-no?

Don’t have the shear strength of sheradised twist nails. The spec for a bracket is quoted based on it being fixed by “x number” sheradised or galvanised twist shank nails - usually in every hole of the bracket. 

I usually use props, one each end, two pieces of 2x4 slightly too long (floor to under side of wallplate) wedged under the wallplate, hanger and joist, makes sure they all line up then pop in the sheradised twist nails. Same as I do to put up plasterboard ceilings on my own. I have seen many examples of hangers installed badly with a gap under the joist where the hanger is not flat to the underside of the joist, bad practise IMO and a bugger to get plasterboard fitted tight to ceiling.

Edited by joe90

What I did for my joists was to clamp a stick to the top of the joist to rest over the header. If the stick is stiff enough and the clamp is tight this ensures that the top of the joist lines up with the top of the header and still allows a bit of movement for the bottom of the joist to get the best compromise on verticality of the joists (some of mine were a bit twisted so it wasn't possible to get both ends completely vertical).

stick-to-header.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Screws aren’t a no no, you just have to use a screw specific to the hanger. 

Look at the manufacturers spec. 

@recoveringacademic don’t try and reinvent the wheel

mark the plate up with a hanger and a set square, and as nick said a piece of timber to act as a shelf, then just drop all the joists in after

you could have fitted all the hangers while the pole plate was on the deck, but now it’s up just do as above. 

You will find it easier to swing the hammer without a joist in the way. 

Just to be different I fit all the hangers first, with an off cut to make sure the bottom is in the right place. Issue with this method is the timbers all have to be the same size to avoid the floor undulating. But unless you use a thicknesses on every one, one side is going to suffer, technically should be the ceiling iirc but you can’t have everything. 

Other than that my only advice would be to use 40mm twist nails. They’re over spec but you won’t hit your fingers as much with them. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

Other than that my only advice would be to use 40mm twist nails.

Yes, I do that. Strong-tie specification says 30mm twist nails but when I'm nailing into the engineered timber I used for some of the floor structure (in place of C24 to easily get lengths longer than 7.2m, with the SE's OK) I found 30s went in alarmingly easily so I use 40s. Ditto when nailing into OSB. 40s also help with softer wood as the nail has to go in further to get established so having a bit more to hold helps. Into proper structural timber (C16 or C24) then whichever of those I have to hand. Into the flanges of JJI beams always 30mm as I fear them splitting.

For the floor I did a lot of the nailing wearing gloves (“Beast from the East” time) so held the nails with a pair of long-nose pliers while getting them started. Also usually do that if the nailing is at all awkward, e.g., doing the the corner nails on angle brackets, particularly if there's a bit of a restriction on swinging the hammer.

11 hours ago, PeterW said:

Don’t have the shear strength of sheradised twist nails. The spec for a bracket is quoted based on it being fixed by “x number” sheradised or galvanised twist shank nails - usually in every hole of the bracket. 

Thank you :)

23 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

What I did for my joists was to clamp a stick to the top of the joist to rest over the header. If the stick is stiff enough and the clamp is tight this ensures that the top of the joist lines up with the top of the header and still allows a bit of movement for the bottom of the joist to get the best compromise on verticality of the joists (some of mine were a bit twisted so it wasn't possible to get both ends completely vertical). [...]

Elegant. Of the techniques suggested, yours, Ed (the Scottish one) , appeals the most. I'll try the others too just for reference.

The post on your blog about checking your laser has got me thinking too. Thanks.