First time self builder

geoffdg

Hi,

We are now retired and looking to start a self build. We are still looking for a plot, probably in west Wales, we have found a possibility. The plot did have planning permission but this was about 20 years ago so I wouldn't think it would be too much trouble to get it again. I just need my Wife to take the plunge.

Welcome to THE forum for self builders and their other halves. Not sure how we can help with your wife. You do need to tell her that this will be a big challenge and perhaps won't go smoothly - you can read any amount of tough news here and you need to be clear with her as there is no point in wrecking your relationship if it all becomes too much. 

• Like 2

Hi and welcome.

The plot we are building on had PP in 1980 but was never built on.  So when we bought it we made an offer to buy it subject to PP and then submitted an outline planning application and as soon as that was passed the purchase proceeded.

The think to check is that it still fits the requirements in your  local plan, mine would pass 2 out of the 3 criteria for new houses in the countryside up here (it only needs to meet 1 of them)  so I thought it was pretty safe but wanted to be absolutely sure.

On the section where it asks for existing use of the land I put "former building plot having previously had planning permission but never built"