Greetings

DPHolme

Hello all

A note to introduce myself as a potential new builder. I thought I would join and soak up all the info after being told about another forum which now no longer exists.

Neighbours have suggested newts might be an issue where we are but a planning application is yet to be submitted.

DP

5 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Hi and welcome aboard. 

@recoveringacademic is your man for newts, he has a breeding program on his site :S 

To you son, a fivver each.

6 hours ago, DPHolme said:

[...]

Neighbours have suggested newts might be an issue where we are but a planning application is yet to be submitted.

[...]

Welcome Cherished New Member.

In relation to the GCN issue (May their presence be blessed and sanctified in the annals of ecology) here is a reading list.  

I would not wish to be seen to be advocating illegal behaviour. Let me, however, describe common local practice, witnessed by me.

At least one, preferably two full years before you are likely to apply for permission, tip pig manure into the offending pond(s).  Problem sorted. Cost £0.

Or do what I did last century (1980s) - not object to your children bringing GCNs to 'our' ponds. And then look after them. Leave a few random areas of land around the place completely undisturbed. Lots of cover, no disturbance. Apply for PP. Get shafted (see reading list)

And then pay  a good few thousand. In our case to an incompetent but qualified ecologist. It took him several months to tell me about an email he had telling us that it was OK to start work.

Dont misunderstand that tale of woe. I have observed the terms of our license to the letter. We have taken  more  care of them than  needed. We were asked to put in 1 hibernacular (shelter).  We have already  made 4, one or two more to go.....  We encourage them at every level. They sometimes walk over our kitchen floor, and get growled at by the cat. They are beautiful. Baby newts are like walking flecks of jade: rarely seen, delightful things.

• Like 2

Welcome!

We had an identified bat roost (summer only) but hope to have newts and wildlife of all sorts very soon. But I was glad they weren't already here before we started building as it was expensive enough dealing properly with bats.

I would advise not to get too much done with an ecologist before planning permission as all the wildlife surveys and reports that they do need to be not much more than 12 months old. You really don't want to pay twice for these things.

Good luck with the journey.

Welcome, We also had bats and the planners tried to make us do even more than the ecologist recommended!!! Winning at planning appeal to the Secretary of State put the council In their place telling them they were not qualified to over rule the ecologist. Still cost us a year and ££££

Edited by joe90