Circulation pump insulation

Guest Alphonsox

Guest Alphonsox

I have a Grundfos UPS2 circulation pump sat atop my 90Ltr buffer tank. It seems that I am loosing a fair amount of heat during the day due to this pump not being insulated. This is leading to my plant room over heating and there being no hot water left should an evening boost be required.

What is the best way to insulate the pump without overheating the critical internal gubins ?

Guest Alphonsox
57 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Move the pump so it is much further from the tank, so when it has cooled down and lost that bit of heat, it won't lose any more.

With hindsight that is exactly what I should have done, however moving it now would involve a good deal of complexity. I'm hoping there's a simpler solution.

As a follow up question for this should all 'hot' pipework that is exposed be insulated? Most of the pipework out of my TS is wrapped in Armaflex thanks to the dynamic duo who came up to fix it but there are still some pipes or parts of pipes that are roasting hot. Not sure if I should be wrapping these in the stuff too? They are the more awkward shaped, smaller bits so it would be doable albeit a bit of a faff. And presumably the naked TS is ok too and doesn't need any sort of jacket / insulation? 

The naked TS actually has a jacket on it already - the tank is inside the outer shell that will be insulated. 

All the pipework should be insulated - probably put that down to them not being fully “focused” after a night on the Belhaven .....

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/11/2018 at 20:45, newhome said:

A9ED908B-B134-48A0-9A6C-DF4C729C00D6.jpeg

@PeterW I've added insulation to those bare pipes now but what is that black sticky tape you have used to hold it together elsewhere? I've tried something that I had here but I don't think it likes the high temperatures and just unsticks itself. I am going to buy some of the tape that @Alexphd1 suggests too to cover up the bits that are too small to use the normal insulation on.