Olives

Onoff

38 minutes ago, Onoff said:

for when I change some 2-port and a 3-port valves over

Cutting off an old olive on a pipe tail is a total PITA, IMO.  It can be done with care, but it just so easy to introduce longitudinal scratches on the pipe tail, and if the previous olives were brass then your pipe tail will almost certainly be slightly crimped.  If you aren't going to reuse the existing tails and olives then my suggestion is to cut the pipe back and put in new tails with some Yorkshire straits or whatever.  I normally use end-feed, but soldering 28mm in place is one occasion where I prefer the safety and tell of Yorkshire.   @Nickfromwales,  please correct me if I am talking out of my a*se.  :)

4 minutes ago, TerryE said:

Cutting off an old olive on a pipe tail is a total PITA, IMO.  It can be done with care, but it just so easy to introduce longitudinal scratches on the pipe tail, and if the previous olives were brass then your pipe tail will almost certainly be slightly crimped.  If you aren't going to reuse the existing tails and olives then my suggestion is to cut the pipe back and put in new tails with some Yorkshire straits or whatever.  I normally use end-feed, but soldering 28mm in place is one occasion where I prefer the safety and tell of Yorkshire.   @Nickfromwales,  please correct me if I am talking out of my a*se.  :)

Not at all. I’ve had to cut these out and resolder many times. 

Tbh, if it’s a like for like swap then just use the nuts and olives that are there imo. 

If it ain’t broke, etc etc. 

• Like 1