PIR security light wiring

Our halogen PIR light stopped working some time after I replaced the broken 500W bulb, so I want to install a new LED unit instead. It seems most have a very short cable, 1m at most, which means it won't be long enough to get inside the house. I read that a junction box is the solution - is that correct? Any specific model? I will also be grateful for any recommendations of the lights themselves - looking for something quite powerful, close to 10K lumen.

TA.

IMHO it's better to try and fit a new, longer, cable to the light.  I have a few LED outdoor lights, and they all came with short cables (and no earth connection...) and I replaced the cables on all of them.  Not hard to do.  I used 3183P 3 core rubber "pond" cable, as it's pretty durable when used outside and fitted the cable gland on the light fittings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

IMHO it's better to try and fit a new, longer, cable to the light.  I have a few LED outdoor lights, and they all came with short cables (and no earth connection...) and I replaced the cables on all of them.  Not hard to do.  I used 3183P 3 core rubber "pond" cable, as it's pretty durable when used outside and fitted the cable gland on the light fittings.

Thank you, Jeremy

I did consider doing it. Some reviewers mentioned manufacturers prohibit opening the units. I don't care about warranty, as long as this does't leave me exposed in case of fire / insurance claim.

Are the lights similar to these:

588f0fe74e68a_10WLEDOutsidelight-1.thumb.JPG.67ca1483375bdc4661c7127b88a6a9cb.JPG

If so, then fitting a new cable isn't hard, but does need the ability to make a wire-to-wire insulated joint inside the unit, using crimp in-line connectors or soldering with heat shrink sleeving.  Happy to talk through how to fit a new cable to similar lights to these.  I bought a reel of cable from Screwfix to make new cables for all the ones I have: https://www.screwfix.com/p/time-rubber-pond-flexible-cable-3183p-3-core-0-75mm-x-25m-black/61627

• Like 1

Well, I haven't found a specific model to buy yet as somehow those that are more powerful don't have PIR :-) But something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/WIDEN-ELECTRIC-Floodlight-Lighting-Waterproof/dp/B01JLJT8OY - looks similar.

Do you think it's worth going into trouble with opening the unit (I appreciate the offer of help!)? Wiska boxes are less than £5, I already have a cable from the inside to the existing unit, if this is safe I'd just connect this cable and the unit's maybe?

They look very similar, and are almost certainly the same construction as the ones I have.  Using an outdoor junction box is fine, if that's easier, but I'd try and keep the short cable they come with out of the sun, as it's probably PVC, and may harden and degrade when exposed.

These lights are all (AFAIK) made in China, and can be very good value (look on eBay for cheaper ones that may well be absolutely identical).  The issues I've found have been missing earth connections on all the ones I've bought (from two different suppliers, one in the UK, one in China), and screws on the front (M4 x 12mm on the front) , and on the bracket (M6 x 12 on the bracket, IIRC) that corrode very quickly.  Apart from those issues (easy and cheap to fix, just connect the internal earth and replace the screws with stainless), the lights are very reliable and give a nice, warm, light that's not too bright (ideal for us as we are within a "Dark Skies" area).  This is what a pair of these PIR switched 10W floodlights look like at the side of our house:

588f8c96c9fef_Eastsidesolarfloodlights2.thumb.JPG.4e1f9cbe9585455399000c32f958fdc4.JPG

and this is one mounted on the post that has my car charge point on it (ignore the LED strip light above the front door, although that's also PIR switched):

588f8df7a5f18_GableSolarpoweredlights3.thumb.JPG.0ecef0d0e9e49daf19c424090a203dab.JPG

• Thanks 1

Thank you.

Missing earth connection is a problem, can't be resolved without opening the unit. ? Will have a further look on ebay.

We have a large drive and due to external steps there are 3+m between the parked car and the front door, so the smaller lights unfortunately won't be enough. On the other hand, we don't have many visitors so the lights shouldn't be coming on too often.

LED security lights seem to be evolving.  They for a long time did have captive short flexes, but lately, the last few I have wired had a connector on the back that you terminated your own flex into then screwed on the supplied waterproof cover.

• Thanks 1