Crimping hell

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:
1 hour ago, Ed Davies said:

You really need to keep the pairs paired, at least.

The snag is they don't go into the connector in pairs, the green and green/white pair have to be split either side of the blue and blue/white pair, which is what creates much of the problem in trying to hold the eight wires flat and in the right orientation to slide into the connector, IMHO. 

I was responding to:

3 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

don,t matter which you alter,so long as both are wired same way ,

It would matter if you had, for example, orange/white on 1 and brown/white on 2, or anything else other than <colour>/white - <colour> (or <colour> - <colour>/white>) on each of 1-2, 3-6, 4-5 and 7-8. So if one end is mixing two pairs up then that's definitely the one to fix.

For best performance you should consistently use either the 568A or 568B pairs along the length of any run (e.g, to a patch panel, through a patch lead, then to the other device) because the different colour pairs have different twist pitches to reduce cross-talk and so have slightly different transmission characteristics and changing along the way might increase reflections. I think that's only going to matter at very high speed along longish runs, though.

Edited by Ed Davies
  • Like 1

All mine are T568B too, as for some reason this seems to be more common (at least here) than T568A.  No idea why.  Anyway, there is still a crossover with T568A, it just switches to being the orange and orange/white that get split, so just as awkward to fit into the connector.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pocster said:

Right !

Builder has left cat5 cable with not much length . So for example 30cm hanging down from ceiling - so everything is up a ladder and awkward .

I hate crimping ! So fiddly !

Anyway managed with a tester to know i’ve Got 2 ends of the same wire .

Redone both ends - get missing lights on tester . Is there anyway to know which end is wrong ? . Otherwise I could be here forever ! 

at least you can't blame the plumber:ph34r:

• Haha 2

One trick is to cut the wires long, arrange them as per above then cut to length. If you cut to length and then arrange them some will be wrong length.  

Its very important they all go right to the bottom of the connector. You normally have to hold/push the cable in while you crimp or they can creep out. 

I believe there are also two types of connector, one for solid core and one for stranded wire. Important you have the right ones.

I once watched a guy at college try and make of a Pyro end maybe 6 times. The length he had was from the same reel we were all using. Every time he tested it the IR was way down. We were all using the same tools etc. Maybe he was a bit sweaty that day? In the end on his 4th or 5th time we, all finished, sat and watched him. Couldn't fault the technique so why???

Just now, Temp said:

One trick is to cut the wires long, arrange them as per above then cut to length. If you cut to length and then arrange them some will be wrong length.  

Its very important they all go right to the bottom of the connector. You normally have to hold/push the cable in while you crimp or they can creep out. 

I believe there are also two types of connector, one for solid core and one for stranded wire. Important you have the right ones.

That's what I do tbh. Unravel the 8 a bit so they're nice and flat then cut across all 8 dead level.

I ring the cover off with the tool's stripper (preset distance) then pull the cores out a touch before putting them in order. Pinch the cover to keep the cores out then nip off any long ones, then shove'em into the plug. Squeeze, done. Hit rate's probably 80%+ but it's easy to work out which end's duff as the tester gives distance to break...

Why crimp plugs, when you should be using keystones on the ends which are fitted with a punch-down tool or can bey keyless, this is what my electrician used (punch-down CAT6 connectors).  You then have sockets at each end of your fixed cable runs.  Then you use short patch cables, bought or made.  At node zero you either have a lot of sockets, or if you have enough connections a patch panel, which is again punch-down.

Got new crimper - seems excellent!

So filled with confidence I crimp away . Use the connection checker - nothing !

Cant believe I’ve crimped that bad so use checker on a bought pre wired cat5 cable ! - nothing !!!! . Ffs the checker is crap too !!!!

Oh yeah ! Now I also notice the blade has fallen out from the quality cable stripper .

So ! In this bargain pack you have ...

A crimper that doesn’t crimp

A tester that doesn’t test 

A cable stripper that doesn’t strip 

Come in a nice case though !

B6AF6722-F684-430D-86DB-98AEE3D2CD0F.jpeg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Oh yeah ! Now I also notice the blade has fallen out from the quality cable stripper .

So ! In this bargain pack you have ...

A crimper that doesn’t crimp

A tester that doesn’t test 

A cable stripper that doesn’t strip 

Come in a nice case though !

B6AF6722-F684-430D-86DB-98AEE3D2CD0F.jpeg

I’ve seen better strippers in my time.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, pocster said:

This crap !

green light just stays on !! . If I kick it and swear at it green light sometimes goes off .

ffs x 2 

Needless to say hopefully a ‘quality’ tester ordered ....

7EBABC9C-D5E3-4CA8-AF32-640628D6F5F0.jpeg

Push the switch all the way to the right ... 

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Now be honest, it was the shape that attracted you? ;)

Nah !

It really is ace .

Once you have the wires lined up the push thru rj45 does seem to guide them through .

Quick visible inspection ; then a surprisingly gentle ‘crimp’ action and you’re done . 

If a 2nd referendum was a crimper it would be this crimper .

The other shite crimper is Brexit .