Anyone ever used UPWORK for Architect/Structural Engineer

Patrick

Hi,

I am seriously considering "outsourcing" my structural calculations and technical design drawings via UPWORK and wondering if anybody done anything like this before.

As I was planning to manage the build myself I already been looking on UPWORK  for an architect, but at the end wasnt brave enough to employ someone to do this from far away without knowledge of the plot.

Now that I have got my Plannijg drawings together and only need someone to translate them into Technical Design Drawings - I am considering again to use a structural Engneer/Architct from Serbia/Ukraine/Pakistan/Bangladesh to do the technical drawings for me.  I do know exactly what I want and have all the Technical drawings including Sections ready in an amateur style / homemade, but missing the AutoCad skills to make it into useable drawings plus I dont really fancy reading myself into structural calculation and woul rather leave this to someone with experience.

Please also tell me if you seriously concidered doing something like this and why you have/havent .

I can see a problem when it comes to UK Building regs(some bits are different here then in other countries, e.g. no Lightswitches/plugs in the bathroom) - but this would be something to be sorted by myself to make sure the plans comply.

1 minute ago, newhome said:

Nope, but if you are going timber frame those might be included. Mine were. 

Only if you do Panel Timber Frame with a TimberFrame producer like MBC - not if you Stick build with local Joiners

5 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Only if you do Panel Timber Frame with a TimberFrame producer like MBC - not if you Stick build with local Joiners

Yep, that’s true. I tend to think of most TF being supply packages 

• 2 years later...

Really sorry to resurrect an old thread... trying to make a similar decision ourselves.

On 16/11/2018 at 21:04, PeterW said:

Decent AT will do them and I would ever use an SE that I couldn’t pick the phone up to or who would not be able to do a site visit. 

Many people have used/recommended Tanners in Ireland. They obv wouldn’t be doing a site visit. Their quote to me was €8500 inc vat. Vs a similar remote cost from upwork of $650-$1500 usd.

On 16/11/2018 at 17:43, MikeSharp01 said:

You need to be clear on the professional indemnity insurance position here as, if it all falls down, you need someone to pick up the tab.

Absolutely!! Found someone on upwork covered by uk PII - will obv check this throughly!

@Patrick did you go with a remote/upwork SE in the end? 

59 minutes ago, ZacP said:

Many people have used/recommended Tanners in Ireland. They obv wouldn’t be doing a site visit. Their quote to me was €8500 inc vat. Vs a similar remote cost from upwork of $650-$1500 usd.

Tanners are mainly used on here for insulated foundation design. I can confirm they are fine and I have had them design my foundations, which were recently delivered from KORE (ad have many others on here).  

For an SE for a timber frame, you can use a remote person but this shouldn't be hard to find locally?  8500 sounds steep too unless that's house and foundations? 

I wouldn't trust the engineering of my house to upwork and someone not in the UK (or Ireland). 

7 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

8500 sounds steep too unless that's house and foundations? 

It was for the whole lot, house founds BC drawings etc. 

8 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

I wouldn't trust the engineering of my house to upwork and someone not in the UK (or Ireland). 

I agree. Tempted by my Upwork contact based in south London. Would do a site visit included in the $1500USD too.

• 1 year later...

Errr, if they got their calcs wrong and your house developed problems - then as a last resort you might need to sue them and/or claim from their PI. Realistically that’s only going to happen for someone UK-based.

Alan

Edited by Alan Ambrose