Can you claim vat on the new street name sign?

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Can we claim the vat back on the street name sign? We had to do this as part of the planning process.

Are you just paying for the sign and having it fitted separately? If so then I'd certainly give it a go and note that it was a planning condition. If you are having the sign supplied and fitted then the work should be zero rated as long as you can persuade the builder that it's eligible. 

I wouldn't bother reclaiming, why run the risk of queries or delays in your reclaim for a small amount of VAT.

Is this a house or driveway sign required in order to access the property, no therefore I would not reclaim. 

Landscaping stated in planning for VAT reclaim purposes is usually connected to planting of trees etc. 

8 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

I wouldn't bother reclaiming, why run the risk of queries or delays in your reclaim for a small amount of VAT.

Is this a house or driveway sign required in order to access the property, no therefore I would not reclaim. 

Landscaping stated in planning for VAT reclaim purposes is usually connected to planting of trees etc. 

Yes it is a new access and private road to access the new property

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Yes it is a new access and private road to access the new property

The principal is VAT is reclaimable or zero rated for the formation of an access or driving way as this is necessary in order to allow the construction of a new dwelling.

A road sign does not prevent the new dwelling from being constructed and I don't believe just because this is a planning condition it allows the VAT to be automatically reclaimed. As many other planning conditions are not recoverable.

Unfortunately I doubt you will find in the VAT DIY self builder notes an explicit statement regarding the road sign. 

If it was a planning condition then you can't legally build the house without it so I would say yes claim it.  I would mention that it was required by planning condition on the spreadsheet. 

Edited by Temp