Hi, from SW Suffolk

Jenni

Just saying hello really.

Glad to have found this forum to learn from while we semi-self-convert a barn conversion.

225 sq m in total, comprising 2 dwellings - a 2 bed 90 sqm, and a 3 bed 135 sqm. Both pretty much single storey.

Some history for anyone interested;

We went the "permitted development" route, which was approved in November 2016. We had a quote from a local building firm to get us to 'watertight' shell stage, we were happy with it so booked them for a start date of June 2018. The intervening time we spend clearing the contents out (50yrs worth!) and demolishing old livestock pens, removed old floors etc. The builders started on time and we hoped they'd be finished by October, that's drifted a bit, so now hoping they're gone by Christmas!

The 'we' is a family affair, I (in my 30's) live in the large farmhouse with my mum, (dad died unexpectedly in 2014). When complete the 2 barns will be where we live (separately), my 2 brothers will then divide and extend the farmhouse for them to live in. Self-build by committee, yep it's tricky! My brothers and I all have full time jobs, mum is virtually full time doing all the admin for the running of our family farm, so our time is limited but we're doing our best. I'd like to be 'in' for the start of the new decade, but this is possibly a bit optimistic.

I'll endeavour to use the search function, but will probably have questions for you guys as well.  ?

Some pics - 

1999282561_BBFyarddrawing.thumb.png.025b6e7269506d635c945c49b9377069.png

Front, before it all began - 

1.thumb.JPG.9619126cab0deae5de5420de5f2a5841.JPG    

Rear, before it all began - 

1734063676_Drear1.thumb.JPG.2a6a4061536f005a6152d3d96cd5de24.JPG

Welcome @Jenni.

That last barn photo looks like several houses built by Buildhubbers, albeit not in quite such good repair ?.

Will you be maintaining the look?

Make sure to enjoy the challenge.

The 'we' is a family affair, I (in my 30's) live in the large farmhouse with my mum, (dad died unexpectedly in 2014). When complete the 2 barns will be where we live (separately), my 2 brothers will then divide and extend the farmhouse for them to live in. Self-build by committee, yep it's tricky! 

It'll be like "After Henry", but horizontal. Or the 1st Episode of Grand Designs this series, where they were into the third generation building on the same farm, and Kevin McLoud's wrap-up homily was about the fourth generation.

Edited by Ferdinand

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for the welcome.

Yes Ferdinand, keeping the style with few external changes. 

Love the tv show, very apt! I'm very much looking forward to having locks on my doors tho!

Here's a few mid-stage photos from July/Aug time - 

A_front_4.JPG

D_rear_6.JPG

• Like 1