Larch Cladding- treatment options

Crofter

It is interesting that a few years on the 2009 the GD IoW "TreeHouse" had mellowed quite a bit.

These pics are late 2012.

http://www.planetpropertyblog.co.uk/2012/11/13/grand-designs-treehouse-for-sale/

Screen-shot-2012-11-12-at-22.33.42.png

I like the face/edge plank mixture, but would prefer it to be vertical orientation. The Tower cladding is gorgeous.

What does it look like after a light sandblasting?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Potentially daft idea...

I wonder what it would look like if the first layer of boards were black (either scorched or painted with barn paint), then the top layer treated with a clear oil. So you would see 4" of wood, then a 2" 'gap', repeated as a pattern of vertical stripes.

22 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Potentially daft idea...

I wonder what it would look like if the first layer of boards were black (either scorched or painted with barn paint), then the top layer treated with a clear oil. So you would see 4" of wood, then a 2" 'gap', repeated as a pattern of vertical stripes.

A big humbug?? :D

but being serious that sort of idea might be fine but always do a sample board before committing to an entire building!

3 hours ago, Crofter said:

Potentially daft idea...

Needs a test.

Would the scorched boards run onto the others in the rain?

How would that look?

That could be as bad as rain stain runoff on badly detailed concrete walls.

Edited by Ferdinand

3 hours ago, Barney12 said:

A big humbug?? :D

but being serious that sort of idea might be fine but always do a sample board before committing to an entire building!

My thought is if you got it slightly wrong you could end up with an oversized barcode ....??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have finally decided on a treatment system- a solvent based preserver followed by an oil based protective layer. Was medium priced but, crucially, a low cost per litre. My rough sawn boards are now stored indoors and I reckon they will drink up as much treatment as I can be bothered brushing on. I reckon that some of the more expensive options could have gone nowhere near far enough and I'd have ended up buying additional tins, so I got a bit scared of the potential cost.

Anyway, next question: I'm currently sorting through all the boards to grade them. Some are perfectly good but have sizeable resin pockets which detract from their appearance. I expect that these will eventually melt away in hot weather, but how are the boards going to take to their preserver and oil when they have so much resin in them?

• 7 months later...
On 25/10/2016 at 15:19, Crofter said:

Have finally decided on a treatment system- a solvent based preserver followed by an oil based protective layer. Was medium priced but, crucially, a low cost per litre. My rough sawn boards are now stored indoors and I reckon they will drink up as much treatment as I can be bothered brushing on. I reckon that some of the more expensive options could have gone nowhere near far enough and I'd have ended up buying additional tins, so I got a bit scared of the potential cost.

Anyway, next question: I'm currently sorting through all the boards to grade them. Some are perfectly good but have sizeable resin pockets which detract from their appearance. I expect that these will eventually melt away in hot weather, but how are the boards going to take to their preserver and oil when they have so much resin in them?

Hi I am just getting to cladding. Love Russwood and the Sioo but too expensive. Dont like the Vincent timber gris finish.  I wanted WRC from Russwood with Sioo but am now looking at Siberian Larch from Vastern, they dont offer any treatments before delivery but will sell you Osmo.....what was the preserver/oil combo you used and did it work out OK?

Any help on this topic gratefully received, I dont want the patchy au naturel look!

Mnay thanks

Liz

I went for some products from Barretine, a timber preserver and a top coat of log cabin oil.

Can't give a full report as I have yet to actually finish! I've given the cladding a single coat of the preserver prior to installation, then plan to do a second coat and the top coat in situ. I've decided to switch from cladding to more urgent internal work so will let you know how it goes in a few weeks time.

18 hours ago, Crofter said:

I went for some products from Barretine, a timber preserver and a top coat of log cabin oil.

Can't give a full report as I have yet to actually finish! I've given the cladding a single coat of the preserver prior to installation, then plan to do a second coat and the top coat in situ. I've decided to switch from cladding to more urgent internal work so will let you know how it goes in a few weeks time.

Thank you I appreciate your help and good luck with it.

KR

Liz

• 2 years later...

Hi, are you give any update on how your choice of larch cladding treatment has faired since application in 2017?  I'm about to get a small 1BR unit built on Skye in an exposed hill-top location by the coast, so have similar concerns to yourself on how it will weather over time.

• 2 years later...