Bit of a cock up

nod

Stairs manufacturer have made our oak stairs 100 mill to big

I could and should get them to alter

Nut times not on our side 

I’ve finished up tight agains the downstairs loo

I have a 864 door hung 

Removing the casing and replacing with a 762 door would work 

Under building regs Am I allowed to do this Or is there a disabled access rule to prevent me ?

• Sad 1

Go back and negotiate a discount to fix yourself if you don’t want them to do it. TBH if you’re not going to be signed off before you move in it’s probably a non issue as you will have time to address it. 

• Thanks 1

I must confess my cloak room door opens the wrong way (must open outwards to comply with regs) but I am hoping he does not spot it, or I tell him if I alter it I will only change it back again as soon as he leaves ?.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

I must confess my cloak room door opens the wrong way (must open outwards to comply with regs) but I am hoping he does not spot it, or I tell him if I alter it I will only change it back again as soon as he leaves ?.

Thanks for flagging this.  Our plans showed an outward opening door but we were thinking of opening it inwards to avoid hallway collisions.  

Regs copied below.  Decision made - outward opening it is.

image.png.e97fa132ca3cadf852633f517b248cb1.png

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but the only thing that was thoroughly checked during our final completion inspection was the access route from the parking area, up the ramp into the utility room and the access to the WC that leads off that.  The outward opening door and wheelchair access spaces were measured to check compliance.  I reckon that this check was took up around 1/3rd of the time spent on the whole completion inspection.

15 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

the only thing that was thoroughly checked during our final completion inspection was the access route from the parking area, up the ramp into the utility room 

Nothing was measured during our inspection, not the accessible WC / shower with inward opening door, the height of the light switches, or width of doors etc. The route from the parking area to either the front or back door (it’s at the side quite a few metres from either door) is a bit of a nightmare in truth and I can’t imagine anyone in a wheelchair would want to live here. The only thing they were interested in was the level threshold. The fact that you could fall off the edge of the ramp on the way to the front door didn’t seem to concern them. All of the things that were picked up were visual observations or paper exercises. One of the things they wanted was proof that the ST panels on the roof weren’t a fire risk ?  

8 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Is an outward-opening door always required or just when an inward-opening door would overlap the clear space required round the WC?

I believe the reasoning is to prevent a situation where a 'slumped' person might prevent opening...in which case clear space wouldn't be relevant.

12 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Is an outward-opening door always required or just when an inward-opening door would overlap the clear space required round the WC?

I don't believe it is in Scotland, just that the door does not swing over the "activity space"