Stairs

nod

Deviated from my stair plan and spent the whole of yesterday plaining down oak whisky barrel lids......  am going to use them as  treads ! It’s in a shed and only for fun so it’s only 600mm wide. Sometime I wonder why I like making my life so complicated. Good luck putting it all together ! 

2 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

hi @nod

straight forward job, i'm a bit surprised at the tenons to the newels. they should have a haunch in the middle as length of tenon shouldn't exceed 5x thickness to avoid weakening the timber with an oversized mortice.

Never knew that. As in if tennon is 12mm thick then mortise not to be 60mm deep or are you on about length of mortice?

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

^^ but the mortice is into the newel posts, you are not going to tell me that will weaken them?

it's not good practise for the mortice to be overly long without a haunch as it will weaken the timber

6 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Never knew that. As in if tennon is 12mm thick then mortise not to be 60mm deep or are you on about length of mortice?

if the string is 30 x180mm wide there should  be 60mm tenon 60mm haunch and 60mm tenon, therefore 1/3 @12mm thick tenon and correcty sized

4 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

hi @nod

straight forward job, i'm a bit surprised at the tenons to the newels. they should have a haunch in the middle as length of tenon shouldn't exceed 5x thickness to avoid weakening the timber with an oversized mortice.

You put a haunch on a window sash or door rail 

Stairs there’s no need

it can’t drop