How to establish if building regulations have been adhered to

Karl Atkins

Hi all,

Is there anyway to establish if building regulations have been followed/building control informed of work at a property. I'm looking to purchase a property that has its loft being used as a bedroom, I know the neighbours and they have suggested that it's a DIY job and the ceiling has not been adequately strengthened, I've asked the seller about it who deny this but can't produce any receipts or other documents to suggest otherwise yet it was only done in the past year or so. TIA for any advice.

If the work has only been done recently and there is no official BC documentation the house will be unsalable except at a knock down price. These days mortgage companies and their solicitors insist on lots of paperwork. Personally I'd run away unless it's got some special value to you.

Done correctly it will have a door either at the top or the bottom of the new staircase and will have an escape window Velux or dormer.  If it is not intended as a habitable room and is only classed as storage or hobby space, building regs are not required. If it is a bedroom they will need to have a completion certificate and failing that they must not advertise it as a bedroom.

• Like 1

We bought a house in 1997 that had a DIY loft conversion that had been used as a children's bedroom from the mid-1960's to the mid 1970's.  That definitely didn't comply with building regs in any way, shape or form, but the vendor admitted this, said her late husband had done the work with no approval, planning etc and she had the (bodged) space saver stairs removed and adjusted the price down to reflect that the house then had one less bedroom.  Our surveyor noted that the "loft" was decorated as a bedroom, complete with a (non-fire regs compliant) dormer window, but advised that it wasn't a habitable room due to the lack of access stairs.

Our building society had no problem with this, and it wasn't a problem when we came to sell, either.  I think that had it been a habitable room that definitely didn't comply with building regs, or had no evidence of compliance with building regs, then there would be a major problem with the majority of lenders, as well as insurers.

My sister is just in the process of buying a house with a 'fourth' bedroom in the roof. It has a proper staircase up to it and velux windows but the 'conversion' was done years ago and so no building regs.  It is being sold as a 3 bed house and the roof room is just classed as storage (even though it is clearly currently being used as a bedroom).  Her mortgage survey had no problem at all with this and it went through fine.

Scores of houses are like this, no regs, no BC and no approvals. Simply value it less the room in roof, other than as posh storage, and then retrospectively convert it properly with BC application and then get the house revalued and insured accordingly ( if you need the attic to be a bedroom that is ). It can be a nice kids playroom or cinema room etc, just not a habitable space, but PLEASE do get fire / smoke detectors right the way through all 3 floors regardless. There are some great bluetooth connectivity smoke detector systems out there now which mean no interconnecting cables required, just get 230v to them from the nearest light fitting and job done.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Scores of houses are like this, no regs, no BC and no approvals. Simply value it less the room in roof, other than as posh storage, and then retrospectively convert it properly with BC application and then get the house revalued and insured accordingly ( if you need the attic to be a bedroom that is ). It can be a nice kids playroom or cinema room etc, just not a habitable space, but PLEASE do get fire / smoke detectors right the way through all 3 floors regardless. There are some great bluetooth connectivity smoke detector systems out there now which mean no interconnecting cables required, just get 230v to them from the nearest light fitting and job done.

Exactly the situation with my sisters current purchase.....in Wales.