Self build

Ronan

Opportunity for roof tile vent was missed. I'm not keen on boring a hole as this side of house is north facing. Recirculating fans might be the only way to go. 

MVHR INLET is in a good position above slightly to the right of the cooker. Thanks lads and I will update my progress if you are interested

Enjoy what's left of the weekend 

4 hours ago, Ronan said:

Opportunity for roof tile vent was missed. I'm not keen on boring a hole as this side of house is north facing. Recirculating fans might be the only way to go. 

MVHR INLET is in a good position above slightly to the right of the cooker. Thanks lads and I will update my progress if you are interested

Enjoy what's left of the weekend 

I thought those tiles were relatively easy to retrofit, even in a warm roof? Can they not go through one of the triangular voids, or is it the position of the hood etc away from an easy route?

The only things that needs care should be the membrane and insulation, subject to that.

I sure hope so, as I have to retrofit one in about a week ?.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

7 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I thought those tiles were relatively easy to retrofit, even in a warm roof? Can they not go through one of the triangular voids, or is it the position of the hood etc away from an easy route?

The only things that needs care should be the membrane and insulation, subject to that.

I sure hope so, as I have to retrofit one in about a week ?.

F

8 hours ago, Ronan said:

Hi 

Is there better  thermal  when using a tile vent  compare to normal wall vent? 

It was just easier for me to use a tile vent.  My hob is on an island so the duct is in between joists and then comes out in my attic.  Mine is a chalet bungalow with roof truss so have the small triangle of attic space to bring the  duct out to the tiles.  I put a duct back draught shutter to limit any wind coming down into the house.  It works OK but if it's stormy some still gets by. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100mm-Extractor-Draught-Shutter-Spring/dp/B00A50NDEU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542014924&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=backdraft+shutter+100mm&dpPl=1&dpID=41hNW%2BcXJgL&ref=plSrch

@Declan52  Do you suffer noise from the shutter flaps clattering in stormy weather?  I would have preferred vented direct to outside, but experience in the houses we rented up here during the build was that such devices were defeated by the strength of the wind gusting.

22 minutes ago, Stones said:

Do you suffer noise from the shutter flaps clattering in stormy weather?

I have a shower vent with back draught shutter..... the fan runs all the time and goes into boost when you switch on the shower. In really stormy weather you get the “clanging / clattering” of the back draught shutter as it’s fights against the storm from one side and the fan on the other...... it was already installed and was never a problem when I had the fan that only came on when you had a shower. If I had put it on the north ridge it would have been better but at the time I just went with the shortest run, straight up and out.  

20 minutes ago, Stones said:

@Declan52  Do you suffer noise from the shutter flaps clattering in stormy weather?  I would have preferred vented direct to outside, but experience in the houses we rented up here during the build was that such devices were defeated by the strength of the wind gusting.

It is in my attic so don't hear it.  Where the vent is on my South facing roof the vent is very near the valley of my sunroom.  My house is  L shaped and the vent is right in the corner so it's well protected from all wind except from the south which we very rarely get. 

I also made a rubber gasket/ o ring to fit on the inside so the flaps have something to push against. This seals up the outside of the flap mechanism so the only bit where any wind gets in is via the holes where the springs are. 

I think as the wind has to go through the opening in the tile vent then the mesh then it goes for about 1m before it gets to the shutter the strength is greatly reduced.  I doubt it would work as well if it was on the outside of a wall. The springs wouldn't cope. 

The duct is also buried in 300mm of rock wool which will help to kill the sound. 

5 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

A bit of a change in the weather from setting out to pouring the slab!

Are weather patterns in Ireland are Slightly more  changeable  Then in  Suffolk. 

We had  problems with  drainage  As the ground is clay. But all storms are doing their job well now. 

0D425384-303C-46A8-8F01-03F23B6730DE.jpeg