Air vents under doors / level thresholds

Vijay

And I assume there are bifolds running the length?  If so, there is not much you can do.  Put lots wherever else and make sure there is lots of ventilation through any cross walls.

Oh and I don't know what system you are using but @Russell griffiths had some real issues on an ICF with the concrete squashing the telescopic vents.

Edited by Mr Punter
Cos I noticed it was ICF

Hi @Vijay I thought you were past this point, I did indeed have a very major cock up with our telescopic vents

the weight of the concrete and the vibrations collapsed the telescope sections, and I had to cut them all out by hand after the concrete had gone off. 

If you haven’t done this yet I would look at reinforcement over the vent to give it more strength. 

Hows it all going mate. 

Russ. 

28 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

And I assume there are bifolds running the length?  If so, there is not much you can do.  Put lots wherever else and make sure there is lots of ventilation through any cross walls.

Oh and I don't know what system you are using but @Russell griffiths had some real issues on an ICF with the concrete squashing the telescopic vents.

Doubt I'll be having bi-folds cos of the related issues, probably a slider and a french door.

Yeah I saw Russell's post but just have to hope I don't get the same issue :(

22 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Hi @Vijay I thought you were past this point, I did indeed have a very major cock up with our telescopic vents

the weight of the concrete and the vibrations collapsed the telescope sections, and I had to cut them all out by hand after the concrete had gone off. 

If you haven’t done this yet I would look at reinforcement over the vent to give it more strength. 

Hows it all going mate. 

Russ. 

Was it a case of too much concrete at once? The only reason I ask that is Polarwall and a pump guy I was chatting to, both said that you don't pump in one place, you keep going round and round and layer the concrete. That gives the concrete time to start going off and also why the mix has to be so specific.

All the air vents are in (have been for a couple of months) but I'm doing doorways at the moment hence this post.

How's it going...........................don't ask!!! lol  I'm jealous that you've already done a pour!! lol

First pour was only 450mm high. 

It seems the vents that collapsed where the telescopic sections, as one piece slots inside another you get an overlap, it was this overlap that allowed concrete slurry to push up from the bottom and enter the hollow tube, 

if i wa doing it again I would get some thin xps sheet and clad the vents to seal them up and add extra strength. 14299764-08D3-416B-9BD8-872A08E36D3B.thumb.jpeg.daa43163829ca6cbff9f70e81e12bfdf.jpeg

This is what I was up to today. 

I'm at a loss to understand why so many vents are really needed under a beam and block floor.  I've heard tales that it's to allow gas to escape, but having had to rip up the concrete floor of an old Cornish cottage nearly 30 years ago, and fit a radon sump and vent, I really cant see why more than a single vent is needed, maybe two at the most.  Our radon vent was a 110mm soil pipe coming out the side of the house from the sump and running up the outside of the house, and that was deemed to provide adequate ventilation.  Similarly, covered refuse tips will just have a few pipes around the same size poking up as gas release vents.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not sure what the correct forum protocol is here (new thread or use old one) but I am facing a similar issue. Is it not possible to have the vent sunk down in a box with a horizontal grate over the top as long as the box can drain? Obviously it would be a problem if the drain pipe blocked and the top was open to rain. We are working out how to get vents in to our porch whilst having level access. The porch has a roof.

I'd like to keep the ability to have a level patio at the back too don the line. There are lots of vents along that elevation so...

There'd be mesh under the brass vent plate shown screwed over the box.

image.thumb.png.21da3909daa9523617c445edaadac6ac.png

image.png.237c974ac35f1b6985ca7c9e3026127e.png

Edited by MortarThePoint