Stick build scaremongering or legitimate concerns?

Ben100

Hi All,

In my researching TF construction and stick build as an option I've come across this article on http://easytimberframe.co.uk/technical-information/building-timber-frame-house/ regarding building your own panels or stick building.

"This means that unless whoever makes the panels, or stick builds the walls, has a recognised competency, the structure may not be accepted or approved – at least without possible extra costly inspections and/or other expense. For this reason, most architects, house designers and owner builders find it more convenient and less costly to use ready made insulated timber panels from an established, recognised manufacture, to build their plans. There is also the likely future value and mortgagablity of a house that is an ‘Owner Build’ to consider."

Do you think this a legitimate concern or just scaremongering? Does it cost more to get a stick built home through building regs or sign-off? Is resale an issue for owner builder?

If you get a company to design your frame and you work to their spec and put in the correct fasteners where they say then what is the problem. 

You will I’ll have to work to some sort of standard, you can’t just think I’ll set my studs at 750 centres just because it looks ok, you will need somebody to specify how many studs at openings, and what timber to use as window lintels, you will need to know how you are fixing it to the foundation, what nail spacing to use on your racking boards. 

If you have the correct information you should in theory theory be able to give the plans to anybody to build. 

If building control have signed off on the design then all they need to check is its built to spec, you can get a monkey to build it but it must meet the spec. 

Im currently building in ICF block, ATBH it seams perfect for a competent diy job, it’s flying up and is very user friendly. 

5 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you get a company to design your frame and you work to their spec and put in the correct fasteners where they say then what is the problem. 

You will I’ll have to work to some sort of standard, you can’t just think I’ll set my studs at 750 centres just because it looks ok, you will need somebody to specify how many studs at openings, and what timber to use as window lintels, you will need to know how you are fixing it to the foundation, what nail spacing to use on your racking boards. 

If you have the correct information you should in theory theory be able to give the plans to anybody to build. 

If building control have signed off on the design then all they need to check is its built to spec, you can get a monkey to build it but it must meet the spec. 

Im currently building in ICF block, ATBH it seams perfect for a competent diy job, it’s flying up and is very user friendly. 

Yes, this is how I viewed it too.

Out of interest, how does ICF compare to TF in terms of cost?

No idea on cost comparison just too many differences for me to compare

i am working on my own most days and  felt it was easier to chuck about a block of eps rather than a bloody great 6x2. 

So far it’s a breeze I think I could possibly get the wife doing it with only a couple of hours training. BB3E8720-C450-4D72-8C6A-5A5DDDD586D0.thumb.jpeg.8144071cf32690ff7b3e348e8ca6460d.jpeg53EC753D-CF97-4D7E-80F7-7AF93C453E23.thumb.jpeg.07fd1f32ce12636a8742a28e8dec0dfd.jpeg

• Like 1

I don’t think there are any isues with TF 

We chose tradition but that was personal Choice 

if your likely to sell at some stage

Its worth getting a build warranty 

A lot of the mainstream builders we’re going onto TF houses in the early 80s But bad press put pay to that Totally different methods to the ones built on here 

With panels left stacked for week open to the elements and builders bashing holes through the sides to get services in 

There are still plenty of people who think TF is built like that 

Our frame was detailed and drawn by the Arcitectural Technician.  It was then built and erected by a local firm of builders.  But had I been so inclined and had the time, I see no reason I could not have built it myself.

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

This is what we have done - so it is scaremongering. The BCO has no problem with me building it neither does the structural warranty company.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

No idea on cost comparison just too many differences for me to compare

i am working on my own most days and  felt it was easier to chuck about a block of eps rather than a bloody great 6x2. 

So far it’s a breeze I think I could possibly get the wife doing it with only a couple of hours training. BB3E8720-C450-4D72-8C6A-5A5DDDD586D0.thumb.jpeg.8144071cf32690ff7b3e348e8ca6460d.jpeg53EC753D-CF97-4D7E-80F7-7AF93C453E23.thumb.jpeg.07fd1f32ce12636a8742a28e8dec0dfd.jpeg

It's Lego...

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

You can't assume with a TF.  You really do need to design.  The frame needs to be able to carry its design load without buckling.  It also needs to have adequate sheer stiffness to avoid collapsing by scissoring under the maximum design wind speeds.    The BIsnp should expect to see all of these design details approved by a "competent person" -- in  this case a qualified structural engineer.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

If you doing it yourself i suggest you  watch this video 

this guy is real professional joiner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Qy3uyaLmY

Larry Hunn, proper old school framer, I think if you stick to the correct framing process but add in some new cad design and some new better fasteners then timberframe can be a very good method. 

• 6 months later...

i am going down the self build stick route.  Going to build it panel by panel (I have dry storage) and when all done get some hired help to get it up during a dry spell.  I have a structural engineer on board and have read up on all the relevant regs (TRADA timber frame construction is a good detailed guide). Depending on the detail i get from the SE i may reach out to rob cullen but given i have plenty of time and limited money i can spread the build out as long as i want. I am convinced i can build to a better standard than the typical of the shelf frames, and i will be able to add in the UFH, etc at the right time rather than after frame is up. Also the larry haun, how to build a house book and associated videos are great.  If you join TRADA they also have a load of detailed publications.

Personally i will find the process of actually 'self building', taking my time and getting it right much less stressfull than having to check and correct builders.  I could of course get some real quality frames / builders but that costs a lot!

We will see how i get on lol, if it looks like being too hard then its a TF company route, but it doesnt look that hard to my eyes ?

I did consider doing mine in panel form, I was going to set myself up like a little factory 

make a framing table so you can build a panel in the table, all nice and square 

air hoses hanging from ceiling for speed and so you don’t trip over everything 

overhead gantry with electric winch for moving completed panels, or a forklift. 

• Like 1

Hi

I built my own TF on site in all weather's, saved a bit of money but next time I would buy a frame in and I'm a chippy 

Buying one means you're inside and dry a considerable time earlier. I would erect a company supplied myself though 

John 

• Like 1