Quick check, please..... wallplate

3 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

I fitted my own wall plate yesterday - with the help of @DavidFrancis. Whoo hoo! Maybe it's a small thing for you, but to me it's a huge victory (over myself)

But (isn't there always one but ) look at this ... the gap.... does it matter? No joist runs over it.

20181109_104658.thumb.jpg.71e2b33282422bf397f275ea449162e2.jpg

Ta....

What gap said Mr Magoo!!

3 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

.....how is the edge of the floor secured to the blank wall on the right, should there not be some edge support running along it, is that what the gap is for?

The wall on the right is the one that the joists cross. 

The plan shows no wallplate across that short wall. There is no floor above. It's a flat roof. 

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

The plan shows no wallplate across that short wall. There is no floor above. It's a flat roof. 

Sorry Ian but still wondering how the roof (if it is a roof) is supported at its edge. The wall plate usually has the joists mounted on it but the surface that is placed on the joists still need a small amount of support at their outer edge alongside the wall.

12 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Oh. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh shit, I've just gone back to the plan..... there is a joist right next to the end wall. Sooooo - I do need to fill that gap at the end of the wallplate. 

?

Polyfilla?

Bolt the last joist to the wall ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you put a wall plate on the end wall you won't be able to fit the posi-joist to that wall, as the plate will then be in the way, from what I remember. If you moved the plate along so that it abuts the end wall, would the resulting 50mm(?) gap in the middle cause a problem?

But couldn't you just fit the last joist to the end of the plate as it currently stands? Aren't you putting 18mm OSB on top? It's not going to flex with a 50mm overhang, especially with a whole load of PIR on top of that. And the roof's not going to have any load on it except for someone up there clearing the drain hole!