Lighting

nod

It could be worth having a look at aliexpress to see if you can get the same or similar thing.

I'm waiting for the feature light I'm putting over my kitchen island to arrive at the moment; according to the tracking info it's just arrived in the UK. I had previously seen it in the Conran Shop for just under £1000 but got if for $250 on aliexpress. Even with import duties and handling fees, it will come in well under £250.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Do you ever sleep Gary?

There's that really stupidly expensive lighting shop on the A6 just North of the Blackpool  road ( before you get to the Petrol station). Been in there yet?

Thanks Ian

No four hours a night Keeps me going fine 

41 minutes ago, vivienz said:

It could be worth having a look at aliexpress to see if you can get the same or similar thing.

I'm waiting for the feature light I'm putting over my kitchen island to arrive at the moment; according to the tracking info it's just arrived in the UK. I had previously seen it in the Conran Shop for just under £1000 but got if for $250 on aliexpress. Even with import duties and handling fees, it will come in well under £250.

Wow 

Thats sounds like a plan

This light cost about £27,000.00 for the original

http://www.lindseyadelman.com/bb0939#1

I purchased a reproduction for about $130.00

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Designer-chandeliers-in-the-Nordic-idea-branches-pendent-lamp-glass-ball-lamp-droplight-of-post-modern/32692080299.html

Sorry it's a poor quality photo attached but I really like the light and very happy with my aliexpress purchase. I'd have no problem recommending this website and you may find a reproduction of the light you're wife wants for a fraction of the cost.

IMG_20181014_221204.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dudda said:

This light cost about £27,000.00 for the original

http://www.lindseyadelman.com/bb0939#1

I purchased a reproduction for about $130.00

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Designer-chandeliers-in-the-Nordic-idea-branches-pendent-lamp-glass-ball-lamp-droplight-of-post-modern/32692080299.html

Sorry it's a poor quality photo attached but I really like the light and very happy with my aliexpress purchase. I'd have no problem recommending this website and you may find a reproduction of the light you're wife wants for a fraction of the cost.

IMG_20181014_221204.jpg

Looks really good 

The only word of caution I would add is that it's very well worth checking to make sure that the fittings are electrically safe before fitting them. 

If they are metal, then check that there is an adequate CPC connection (earth) and do an insulation test; it needs to be >1MΩ at a test voltage of 500 V to pass; ideally needs to be very much greater than this.  >200MΩ would be fairly typical.  Also check that any cables used are really copper wire with an adequate current rating.  It isn't at all unusual to find that the cable used in some budget Chinese items is copper-coated steel and massively under-rated, often with poor internal insulation.

Even if items need to be internally rewired to make them safe and reliable they are still very good value, as it's not much work to just add an earth connection or run in new flex.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

@JSHarris some good advice there.  Can you explain in some detail or point us to a youtube video that instructs how to carry out the tests outlined if achievable by a reasonably competent DIY person.

There are some videos on Big Clives's Youtube channel, and some on John Ward's channel (but he does drone on a bit) that illustrate some of the dodgy cable, non-existent earthing etc that's around.  In terms of test gear ideally you need an insulation tester and a continuity tester.  A normal installation test should check the insulation resistance, with the caution that for that to pick up a problem with the fitting any metal parts that can be touched without removing a cover need to be really connected to the PE connection (assuming there is one on the fitting).  A simple multimeter test for continuity is a good start, though, just check that any exposed metal parts are actually connected to the PE.  Checking the quality of the cable used is really down to knowing what to look for in a decent cable.  Here are a couple of videos that illustrate really crappy Chinese cable that may give some clues: