Luxury HMO

Pocster

16 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Bit of a bugger as I've recently wired the whole of my workshop with plastic conduit.  It's legal as it's only along the walls and was done under the 17th, but would need to be in metal from next year on, it seems.  Can't say that I have a problem with that; I'd have used metal if I still had conduit die and bending sets to thread the ends and bend conduit (lent them to someone who never gave it back, years ago)..

Serious question  ... what temperature are these tested to?

I ask because the rubber multisize saucepan lids I have claim they are OK at 260 C, ditto the plastic fish slice etc. Obvs it will be a combination of load and temperature that they can endure, but it will be one hell of a disruption to the manufacturers.

Ferdinand

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Serious question  ... what temperature are these tested to?

I ask because the rubber multisize saucepan lids I have claim they are OK at 260 C, ditto the plastic fish slice etc. Obvs it will be a combination of load and temperature that they can endure, but it will be one hell of a disruption to the manufacturers.

Ferdinand

No idea, but plastic trunking and conduit is either PVC or ABS, and PVC softens at about 80 deg C, ABS a bit over 100 deg C, and as far as the regs are concerned, the intention is to eliminate droop from softening under heat, I believe, for the reasons given for making the change for some locations in the 17th Amnd. 3, which was as @Onoff mentioned, a nest of tangled fallen cables impeding fire crews.

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Clipped direct is OK in a location that's protected, like that cupboard.

Thanks. Obviously “protected” has a wider meaning than I thought (which was that a tool was needed for access, like with the bonding rules). Do lofts count? I was assuming I'd have to trunk all the wiring for my RE stuff in the loft. Wouldn't mind too much with plastic trunking but doing it in metal would be a pain. Would metal cable trays there be suitable?

48 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Thanks. Obviously “protected” has a wider meaning than I thought (which was that a tool was needed for access, like with the bonding rules). Do lofts count? I was assuming I'd have to trunk all the wiring for my RE stuff in the loft. Wouldn't mind too much with plastic trunking but doing it in metal would be a pain. Would metal cable trays there be suitable?

It goes back a long way to when almost all house wiring was clipped direct to walls, often painted or even papered over.  Gradually things changed to bury cables in walls, which then created another set of regs on how deep they needed to be to be protected (the argument being that if you can't see a cable then it's more likely to get drilled through).  Safe zones were developed for buried cable runs so that we all know (!) where to expect to find cables buried in walls, too.  The only other guidance on where you run cables on the surface is really to do with cable protection from mechanical and heat damage and there's no clearly defined rule as such (AFAIK, there may be something in the 18th I've not seen yet).  It's largely a judgement call by the installer as to whether a cable is OK to run on a surface, bearing in mind things like cable max operating temperature, the possibility of something knocking into the cable, etc.

• Thanks 1

Just because it's all in a cupboard behind a door doesn't mean a lot in the context of these new regs. It's a blanket thing that wiring systems now be supported such that it'll not be subject to the support system collapsing in the event of fire. 

If then there's a chance of a fire starting in the airing cupboard it's an issue.

Trouble is where does it stop? Fire in the loft causes the joists the cables are clipped to to collapse and so on.

26 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Trouble is where does it stop? Fire in the loft causes the joists the cables are clipped to to collapse and so on.

I can see why the regs changed, though.  The fire service campaigned for it, and BRE recommended the change to fire resistant metal cable fixings back in 2015:

Fire-Performance-of-Cable-Installations-Aug-2015.pdf

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

@pocster So now we have two isolator feeding a single 20A junction box and a timer doing nothing ..?? 

Has he wired the two immersion’s from the single box ...?? 

As you like to tell me, “keep up”. :D  The other cable looks like it goes around the back of the JB  

Pen..........

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

I can see why the regs changed, though.  The fire service campaigned for it, and BRE recommended the change to fire resistant metal cable fixings back in 2015:

Fire-Performance-of-Cable-Installations-Aug-2015.pdf

A couple of firefighters died in a high rise if I remember correctly. They would have got out but the suspended ceiling collapsed and the cables got trapped between their cylinder and harness on the breathing apparatus set. As a result of that all Fire Services in the UK had to have a strap fitted that connected the harness to the top of the cylinder and thus prevented a cable becoming lodged between the two.

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

As you like to tell me, “keep up”. :D  The other cable looks like it goes around the back of the JB  

Pen..........

....cil...?? Not sure it does though ..!

@pocster photo straight on of the brown circular thing and see where the wires go ....