Luxury HMO

Pocster

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Right!. I've just spoke to Gas safe and as usual I'm given the run around. G3 doesn't exist he said ?

But you can have a certificate to say you are qualified to install UVC but not be G3 EH?!!!!; - EHHH!!!

G3 is the standard. 

They make this so chuffing easy. 

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Should read.....then into the zone valve ?

Immersion is direct from the spur and has its own 2 step thermostatic regulation.   

Keep up - no zone valves as this is all electric and DHW only.. Telford require you to use their stats too...

Just now, pocster said:

So make this easy for me.

He can install a UVC but needs it certified by someone else, yes?

No. 

You can dry install anything you like. It’s when you set it to work the liability instantly shifts completely on to the person who commissioned it. End of chat. 

Hes not allowed to do either. 

Fcuking course is like £180 and under so guys a penis. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

No. 

You can dry install anything you like. It’s when you set it to work the liability instantly shifts completely on to the person who commissioned it. End of chat. 

Apparently he has notified building control. But I'm guessing that doesn't mean it's been commissioned!.

As no paperwork - then not commissioned because he can't!

Turned into a shite mess as expected. Builder says he's been using him for years. Well, his luck has run out now.

23 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

No. 

I reckon @Nickfromwales favourite word is PENIS !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, pocster said:

This should be good !

Sending me his certificates to prove he can install and commission UVC .

Stay tuned......

The problem is that there are a lot of "qualified" people around who don't have a clue. 

I've ranted before about this with regard to an electrician who was registered as a competent person with one of the accreditation companies, but who was frankly bloody dangerous, and shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near an electrical installation. 

There's no way that most people are going to be able to spot whether work has been done to the standard required by regulations (which are often there to keep us safe), so the cowboys can carry on getting away with it.  Programmes like Rogue Traders don't seem to have a problem finding cowboys, either, and some of the tales of woe on here seem to show that the problem is widespread.

The shame of it is that we had a damned good apprenticeship system decades ago, and no one was able to call themselves a trades person unless they had served their time.  There's no substitute for years of experience working under an apprentice master, IMHO, yet now virtually anyone can do a short course, get a bit of paper and pretend that they are fully competent to do a job properly and sign it off.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PeterW said:

No he needs to go to the local job centre and apply for his old job back at McDonald's ...

If - and only if - he has resized the D2 to be 22/28mm based on his calcs to allow both the boiler and UVC to vent through the D2, then the boiler needs to run though a 15mm tundish with a cover on (Boiler regs, cover required due to potential for scalding non-potable water) and the initial D1 leg of the UVC needs a 15mm in / 22mm out tundish with no cover on (G3 UVC regs, cover not allowed due to risk of drawing non-potable water into the UVC).

If he is certified to work on both gas and UVC (G3) then he would know all this...

So whilst Billy McPenis has installed a tundish, he's installed the wrong type, in the wrong place, and in contravention of the regs....

Actually @PeterW I’m confused by this .

Surely the PRV from boiler or UVC would potentially both scalding ; so why not both tundish covered ? . I’m probably missing something obvious....

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Actually @PeterW I’m confused by this .

Surely the PRV from boiler or UVC would potentially both scalding ; so why not both tundish covered ? . I’m probably missing something obvious....

A tundish is there to provide two things. 

An air break in a potable supply, and a visual indication for a relief valve. 

If the tundish is sealed then there is no air break on a UVC between a waste pipe or discharge and the potable water in the UVC so if it did draw back it would potentially be contaminated. 

A boiler PRV is on the heating system side so is non-potable so it’s irrelevant if it pulls water back from the drain as it won’t contaminate the supply. 

• Thanks 1

Accrding

14 hours ago, pocster said:

I reckon @Nickfromwales favourite word is PENIS !

As a Welshman he has good cause, according to the Super Soaraway Sun:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4429826/welsh-blokes-are-the-best-endowed-in-britain-but-east-midlands-men-deliver-the-most-satisfaction/

Welsh blokes ‘are the best endowed in Britain’

Around here it is the favourite word of the ladies. We do not need the extra 0.55 inches.

"but East Midlands men ‘deliver the most satisfaction"

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

Right !

Builder wants to get his mate ( the installer ) back to fix this . I said yes in the proviso I put photos up here and if it’s still wrong he gets him back again . I’ve explained what I think should be done . 2 tundish . Uvc closed , boiler one open . All pipe work after tundish min 22mm . Why I have to tell them is worrying - but they don’t know . Though apparently “ it’s obvious now the 15mm is wrong “ - he didn’t mention a second tundish ....

Photo soon ; especially for Nick , as he’s a big boy !!!

Edited by pocster

But he's already shown himself unable or unwilling to comply with the legal requirements. Those posting on here can only see what you provide photos of; from just those they can hardly reassure you that the final result is kosher so you'll need to get somebody else in to inspect it. So why bother with him? I think you're past the point to just cut your losses and go elsewhere.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

But he's already shown himself unable or unwilling to comply with the legal requirements. Those posting on here can only see what you provide photos of; from just those they can hardly reassure you that the final result is kosher so you'll need to get somebody else in to inspect it. So why bother with him? I think you're past the point to just cut your losses and go elsewhere.

Agree 

So how do I find who he’s affiliated with ?

Spoke to building control today and they said once I have that info I can get them to inspect his work . So it’s gets fixed ( correctly or not ) either way it gets checked by his governing body .

i couldn’t see that info on gas safe . It’s fairly obvious he’s not certified. Told me he notified building control months ago ; he hasn’t .

21 minutes ago, pocster said:

So how do I find who he’s affiliated with ?

I'd have nothing more to do with him. Allowing somebody to fix their mistakes is entirely reasonable. When they still get it wrong (and, maybe, lie about it - what's up with the supposed notification of building control?) it's time to just get somebody competent to inspect, document and, where required, fix. If you can reclaim the cost of that from the builder then great, otherwise at least the builder will know this guy is a liability, particularly if you can show him the documentation of the faults.

1 minute ago, Ed Davies said:

I'd have nothing more to do with him. Allowing somebody to fix their mistakes is entirely reasonable. When they still get it wrong (and, maybe, lie about it - what's up with the supposed notification of building control?) it's time to just get somebody competent to inspect, document and, where required, fix. If you can reclaim the cost of that from the builder then great, otherwise at least the builder will know this guy is a liability, particularly if you can show him the documentation of the faults.

Because I can get affiliated body to check the work . Perhaps I’ll take legal action .

Need to know his official status 

Has he CLAIMED membership of any trade body?

This comes up from time to time on the electrician forum, it is very hard to get someone prosecuted for doing non compliant work, unless someone dies or is injured.  Most of the schemes do not seem interested in pursuing complaints against their members.  BUT if someone is found to be using the logo but is not a member of that scheme, that seems to end up in court very quickly.