Luxury HMO

Pocster

I have a friend who does a fair bit of student lets and rarely has issues. They are jointly and severally liable for damage and repairs and in some instances also for the rent.  In any case, parents are obliged to act as guarantor.

The sort of behaviour by @pocster's tenants would be more in line with an emergency housing / hostel setup.

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

I have a friend who does a fair bit of student lets and rarely has issues. They are jointly and severally liable for damage and repairs and in some instances also for the rent.  In any case, parents are obliged to act as guarantor.

The sort of behaviour by @pocster's tenants would be more in line with an emergency housing / hostel setup.

Oh tell me about it . There’s zero support when it goes this wrong . Trust me ; police don’t care ; mental health don’t care ; council don’t care . All down too me ......

1 hour ago, pocster said:

The problem is even with a tundish installed it's not visible. I'd have to manually say every 3 months ( not sure what frequency is required ) go and physically look at it.

But if that's the 'solution' then so be it.

Note for judge in event of accident: I have requested a tundish be installed. I'm not liable in anyway for an explosion via the cylinder as far as I am aware was installed to meet regulations.

The safety concern isn't being able to see the tundish, it's the air gap at the tundish that allows an emergency release of pressure if the pipe D2 gets blocked, so preventing a cylinder explosion under severe fault conditions.  Being able to see the tundish easily is nice, but not at all essential.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Well impressed with my lad and his 3 mates the way they're keeping their house rented for uni.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pocster said:

It goes into the boiler overflow/expansion pipe (boiler is literally next to the tank) - so any issue will overflow outside which I can easily check.

Errrr .... 15mm too ..??

To give an example of the issue you face, find a 22mm pipe at 3bar and try and force it into a 15/22 connector ... hard work, you will get wet and it will spray everywhere ...

Now do it with 90c water .....

A boiler over pressure pipe is designed to take a limited - ie reduce the boiler from over pressure to 1.5-2bar - and then stop. It’s not designed to take the full force of 3 bar water, which will flow constantly once this has trigger or failed, that is being supplied through a 22mm mains pipe.... that’s the worst case scenario. Best case is that the PRV blows and it’s only cold water, but still, 22 into 15 doesn’t go...

Combining of discharge pipes is allowed but they must be larger at each junction. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Being able to see the tundish easily is nice, but not at all essential.

Borderline on G3 as it has to be within 500mm of the tank or PRV outlet so would be pretty hard work to make it not easily checked. Having it behind the tank would make testing and checking near impossible. 

I think its McDonald who fit the tundish to the PRV on the tank from memory - I know one does and it’s a good idea in my opinion. 

Both mine are fitted to the PRVs with about 100mm of vertical pipe to straighten up the flow.  I wouldn't say they are "readily visible", as one is right in the rear corner of our services room, so you need to bend over to see it, but building control were happy when they checked it.

8 hours ago, pocster said:

He said a tun dish could be installed if I want. He has been requested by other customers due to the corrosion and leaks to remove them (said he would send me a photo if i wished).

No and fcuking NO! 

This guys a total prick. He’s admitting going around making installations lethal. FM!

The picture he’s sent you clearly shows water has been running OVER that tundish not THROUGH it. We’ve got a real live one here :S 

Im stuck for words, and that is some achievement I can tell you.

I woukd 1000% be getting an independent inspection done by someone not known to either you or the fitter. You’ll soon see the rap sheet filling up. 

Still love to know if he’s done the balanced feeds. I’ll bet my spare ribs he hasn’t. 

If you ring Telford they’ll give you the number of a local G3 installation agent that they use for maintenance / repairs etc. My mate went through a divorce and let his lapse on a big job so I rang Telford and it cost about £160 to get a guy out to G3 it all. He went through every last nut and bolt. You need this looking at so deffo hold some money back. 

Guys a tosser. 

• Like 1

Just for a bit of sanity, not ONE of my UVC install customers has EVER had a drip through their ceiling, and EVERY ONE has a tundish. Loads have been in attics btw ;)  

I may go and spray some underpants with gold paint and give this guy the 2018............... “talking out of my arse” award. ?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, newhome said:

Don’t your tenants mind you spying on them everywhere? One might conclude that you are a voyeur! ?

They perhaps would not mind if @pocster runs it well and communicates well.

There is a fantastic HMO blogger called HMO Landlady, here - very straightforward and sensible providing tooms for Housing Benefit type and short term tenants, who did that. She wrote these posts about it:

https://hmolandlady.com/2012/04/23/easter-break-in-an-update/

https://hmolandlady.com/2012/05/22/cctv-installed-but-theres-trouble/

https://hmolandlady.com/2012/06/20/cctv-babysits-while-hmo-landlady-goes-on-holiday/

Sadly the blog is silent for the last year or two, but is worth a read backwards. Housing Benefit Ts stopped being doable with restrictions to eg the lower 3 deciles of the local market rent and a multi-year cash freeze, so I suspect she moved into more pro-HMO lets. The last post s about a 1000 a month tax increase coming down the track from Mr Osborne.

Here's a slightly old interview, which includes some interesting asides, and talks about HMOs, and a bit of self-promotion.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

No and fcuking NO! 

This guys a total prick. He’s admitting going around making installations lethal. FM!

The picture he’s sent you clearly shows water has been running OVER that tundish not THROUGH it. We’ve got a real live one here :S 

Im stuck for words, and that is some achievement I can tell you.

I woukd 1000% be getting an independent inspection done by someone not known to either you or the fitter. You’ll soon see the rap sheet filling up. 

Still love to know if he’s done the balanced feeds. I’ll bet my spare ribs he hasn’t. 

If you ring Telford they’ll give you the number of a local G3 installation agent that they use for maintenance / repairs etc. My mate went through a divorce and let his lapse on a big job so I rang Telford and it cost about £160 to get a guy out to G3 it all. He went through every last nut and bolt. You need this looking at so deffo hold some money back. 

Guys a tosser. 

?

I’ve text him about the cold coming off balanced output group . Hopefully the answer is simply “yes”

17 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

And even then the penis cant do it right! Jeez x2. 

22mm D2 minimum pipe size. 

Maybe print him a few copies off to give to his previous victims?

?

No point me getting back to him on this .

I’ll get it ‘serviced’ by another penis ? ; I can also see if the new guy picks up on that ....

• Like 1

The reason it needs bigger pipe on D2 ( the open part of the tundish ) is because the 15mm D1 is forced out under pressure, whereas the D2 only has gravity to rely on for the water to drain away naturally. With the invert so close to the tundish, I'd have run that in 28mm. At the very least the first elbow after the tundish should have been a bend pulled in a pipe bending machine to give a nice radius. Its so easy to just do right, when you're already there with your tools out.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

The reason it needs bigger pipe on D2 ( the open part of the tundish ) is because the 15mm D1 is forced out under pressure, whereas the D2 only has gravity to rely on for the water to drain away naturally. With the invert so close to the tundish, I'd have run that in 28mm. At the very least the first elbow after the tundish should have been a bend pulled in a pipe bending machine to give a nice radius. Its so easy to just do right, when you're already there with your tools out.   

Don’t doubt it’s a simple job .

He said fitting the tundish took 5 minutes . So it wasn’t about saving time or money ( his ! ) ; just I guess decided it wasn’t necessary . I’ll take better photos of the pipe work . If that’s the only thing that needs altering then perhaps I can get that done as a seperate job .

Yep the bloke is a cowboy.

As in my thread that @Nickfromwales linked to above is has to be 22mm minimum, then depending on the number of bends and total length it might need to go up to 28mm.

Ask him for his calculations for the D2 pipe and post the answer.

I used bends on mine formed in the bender rather than elbows as they offer less resistance to water flow, but I don't think the calculations differentiate.  

And post a picture of where the D2 pipe ends up discharging to.

If you end up getting someone else to put it right, deduct the cost from his bill. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Yep the bloke is a cowboy.

As in my thread that @Nickfromwales linked to above is has to be 22mm minimum, then depending on the number of bends and total length it might need to go up to 28mm.

Ask him for his calculations for the D2 pipe and post the answer.

I used bends on mine formed in the bender rather than elbows as they offer less resistance to water flow, but I don't think the calculations differentiate.  

And post a picture of where the D2 pipe ends up discharging to.

If you end up getting someone else to put it right, deduct the cost from his bill. 

I suspected as he tapped into the boiler discharge pipe it would all be 15mm ; and it is .

So really I want the boiler discharge pipe to be 28mm ( safe side ) and all the pipe work back to the bottom of the tundish 28mm also . That correct ?

A5BBE899-71DF-4A7E-848E-9964A664D769.jpeg

Jesus. 

This guys underpants are going TNT overnight so he gets them to wear tomorrow. 

I’ve never, in 23 years on the tools, seen someone cut into a boiler PRV to add D2. AND ALL IN 15mm !!!!?

Needs to be 22mm to tundish from outside, as long as the hydruluc ( calculated ) run isn’t >12m. 

If you tee into the boiler PRV then that too would need a tundish / air break and the downstream pipe work upsized to prob 28 or 35mm. 

Scrotum. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Jesus. 

This guys underpants are going TNT overnight so he gets them to wear tomorrow. 

I’ve never, in 23 years on the tools, seen someone cut into a boiler PRV to add D2. AND ALL IN 15mm !!!!?

Needs to be 22mm to tundish from outside, as long as the hydruluc ( calculated ) run isn’t >12m. 

If you tee into the boiler PRV then that too would need a tundish / air break and the downstream pipe work upsized to prob 28 or 35mm. 

Scrotum. 

So as he’s joined into the boiler outlet that needs a tundish too ...?? Just double checking