Luxury HMO

Pocster

1 minute ago, Gav_P said:

The wire running vertically is just passing the box on the left hand side isn’t it?

Can't tell, and if it is then the top immersion is on permanently from the switch, and the bottom immersion isn't on at all as its time switch isolator is off....

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

You lot will like this !

My requirement to the builder was that 4 uvc showers and an electric shower could run simultaneously ( lower flow of course ! ) and be usable .

Someone gave a nice diagram of a system to do that ( showing a cold accumulator tank ) . Anyway right at the start of the refurb I showed it to builders “uvc expert” ( the guy who installed it ) . He’d “never seen anything like that “ - so it was left .

Today I run the electric shower and 3 uvc simultaneously- guess what ? . Underflow light comes on electric shower and naturally water cold .

Builder takes a look - he’s never heard of a ‘cold accumulator ‘ . Anyway he has to do some ‘internet research ‘ and undoubtedly will retro fit a pressurised cold accumulator just for the shower .

I didn’t say “I told you “ .

The more I employ ‘trades’ ; the more knowledge I gain ! ???

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Builders looked again.

One of their suggestions was to tee off 15mm first from the water main coming in direct to the electric shower.

I can't see a reason this wouldn't work (water pressure is good) ; then the electric shower has 'priority' over everything else.

This a good plan ? ; better/worse than pressurised accumulator exclusively for shower??

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

It will be an improvement, and only trying it will tell.

I don't buy the "priority" thing. Anything else drawing cold water will use up some of the available flow.

Fitting a large enough cold accumulator may be an issue I.e where .

Might the option be to drop the electric shower and just have mixer like the others ? . I wanted one electric shower originally as a fail safe in case uvc failed .

On 11/12/2018 at 14:04, ProDave said:

It will be an improvement, and only trying it will tell.

I don't buy the "priority" thing. Anything else drawing cold water will use up some of the available flow.

I guess there must be a proper way to work this out? By that I mean real physics ....

16 hours ago, pocster said:

Builder wants to try re-routing the cold direct to the electric shower.

I guess there's no way of knowing if this will work i.e. with 4 UVC showers running ; until we try it

I think if you work out your max flow and divide it by the qty of showers that will tell you something. YOu could do that now.

Is your electric shower communal i.e. In the common parts? IF it is then I would stick with it as a crisis resource. IF it is not, then I wOuld consider switching to UVC as your emergency routine will rely on your Ts sharing showers, which is not such a good fallback.

Personally I think that sticking with an electric shower is a good idea in addition to the others, as for a self-managed property you could be away for a weekend or a week, and in a luxury HMO you would get your nuts roasted.

I would go straight for the accumulator, ideally for everything, but there is an argument that says you could just restrict it to a subset of showers, or even just to the eclectic one if the others are OK together.

I think that allowing your builder to go on wild goose chases may, when you examine the whole enchilada, be a bit of a red herring ?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I think if you work out your max flow and divide it by the qty of showers that will tell you something. YOu could do that now.

Is your electric shower communal i.e. In the common parts? IF it is then I would stick with it as a crisis resource. IF it is not, then I wOuld consider switching to UVC as your emergency routine will rely on your Ts sharing showers, which is not such a good fallback.

Personally I think that sticking with an electric shower is a good idea in addition to the others, as for a self-managed property you could be away for a weekend or a week, and in a luxury HMO you would get your nuts roasted.

I would go straight for the accumulator, ideally for everything, but there is an argument that says you could just restrict it to a subset of showers, or even just to the eclectic one if the others are OK together.

I think that allowing your builder to go on wild goose chases may, when you examine the whole enchilada, be a bit of a red herring ?

Ferdinand

Electric shower is communal- 2 bedrooms need it as not ensuite .

Builder wants to try his cheaper method first of course !

Otherwise he’s liable for extra costs ...

10 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

He should have fitted a tank fed electric shower ?

You can still retro fit it if you have access to a bit of attic space ?

I know I know 

Right at the start I showed him your diagram but none of them ‘understood’ it ffs !

i’ll let him try this feed of the main ; if that fails he will have to install a tank somewhere . No good in loft as a room now !

If he breaks into the main he will get exactly the same issue as he has now. 

Tell him to bite the bullet and put a 250 litre cold tank in the attic. Must be that size as if all the showers are running on that UVC then it will be chewing the incoming supply. 

13 minutes ago, pocster said:

I know I know 

Right at the start I showed him your diagram but none of them ‘understood’ it ffs !

i’ll let him try this feed of the main ; if that fails he will have to install a tank somewhere . No good in loft as a room now !

Waste of time and money. You’ll only get a pint out of a pint pot me ol’ china mug. ?

Cold mains priority is only ever practised when you have a 22mm cold main ;)  With 15mm I only ever take the outside tap off directly after the stopcock. 

14 minutes ago, pocster said:

I know I know 

Use your imagination.

Fit a plumbed in waterbed.

Edited by Ferdinand