Luxury HMO

Pocster

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Of course ! But that’s for the boiler which was already there 

I wonder if the possible lack of tundish would be picked up on a later inspection?

Guess not if they just inspect the boiler?

Edited by Onoff

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I wonder if the possible lack of tundish would be picked up on a later inspection?

Guess not if they just inspect the boiler?

Boiler has separate cover I.e install and service of boiler by different company . So would have no reason to look at tank .t 

At property 

pipe sizes are right due to limited space 

no tundish because in cupboard and no one will see it . So goes into condensation outlet pipe . So you’ll never really know if an issue . Guy who installed was G3 and paperwork exists .

Tank should have one of these ...

76511DB4-A3F5-4146-859A-1219E389726B.thumb.jpeg.cd53629e4f46ead3e7476e0469d46cb8.jpeg

if you go to the next page under unvented you will see this. 

A7D4DDB0-B3FB-48B1-89E4-0D04A4D88E6C.thumb.jpeg.f31b556b9711a5f1196b5f50e60fd47b.jpeg

Note item 4.....

If this has been done to building regs then they have to fill this in, and it has to be provided to you ... 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Makes me laugh that it is frowned upon for someone like me to read the rules and apply them to the letter when installing my own tank, yet someone who claims to have the right ticket just ignores the rules.

You see that in all trades.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Breach of G3 Regs....

100%. 

Tell piss face builder to get ‘qualified ring-piece’ back to do the job properly. 

The installation manual will be handy to have to hand to demonstrate that the tundish MUST reside with the UVC, and his ‘interpretation’ of how it can be done, to make his life easier, is actually a breach of G3. 

The rules are there to be read and followed, not ducked and dived around. Jeez. 

Also, and this is VERY important, ask him if EVERY SINGLE mixer outlet ( showers / bath fillers / mono-block taps etc ) EVERY SINGLE ONE WITHOUT DOUBT have the cold water coming from the balanced output of the control group ( the multi function valve alongside the UVC ). 

If he shrugs his shoulders or cannot answer the question then the UVC is on borrowed time. 

Ask and update please.

• Like 1

Well 

I know what you all mean .

His ‘logic’ regarding the tundish is fair but I appreciate its a breach of G3 . The argument was if it’s locked in a cupboard and the tundish drips no one will see it and you’ll just eventually get a wet stain on the ceiling below .

Most trades ( in my experience) ‘bend’ the rules to suit and rarely follow to the letter . If I was installing in my own house I would . Builder says he used this tank installer guy many times with no issue . I do trust the builder ; they’ve not deviated or bodged anything as far I can tell . The tank was ‘effectively ‘ out sourced - so I made it clear to builder any issues I’ll be on to him . Just left the property and a few days ago I did a snagging list ; too be fair they are there fixing them now . So I’ll cut them a little slack for now ......

Edited by pocster

35 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

To be fair to her she did well.  She has a better aim than me!

If that was a woman then respect! If it was a bloke then there was no chance of the aim being that good. Most blokes can’t even aim into a decent sized toilet bowl! Bet there were wet patches everywhere that have since dried ? ?

16 minutes ago, newhome said:

If that was a woman then respect! If it was a bloke then there was no chance of the aim being that good. Most blokes can’t even aim into a decent sized toilet bowl! Bet there were wet patches everywhere that have since dried ? ?

Oh yes. Some were shoved up the fireplace. Some split as I moved them. Bed was riddled with infestation and christ knows what else .....

He was also a hoarder - so bags of crap stacked everywhere right up to the ceiling. Couldn't actually get in his room 'normally'

Edited by pocster

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

Oh yes. Some were shoved up the fireplace. Some split as I moved them. Bed was riddled with infestation and christ knows what else .....

He was also a hoarder - so bags of crap stacked everywhere right up to the ceiling. Couldn't actually;ly get in his room 'normally'

IT professional? ?

You do have to wonder about some people! ??

You’d think it might be easier to use a bucket and empty occasionally ?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pocster said:

He was also a hoarder - so bags of crap stacked everywhere right up to the ceiling. Couldn't actually get in his room 'normally'

We still need to talk about me getting my deposit back?

;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

We still need to talk about me getting my deposit back?

;)

Well!

He owed 6 months rent (once he ran off) and it took me 3 years to track him down successfully with a high court enforcement notice ( needed him to be employed). I think by then he owed me (from memory) 3k with all the costs. Enforcement guys of course collect eventually 6k from him.......

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Well 

I know what you all mean .

His ‘logic’ regarding the tundish is fair but I appreciate its a breach of G3 . The argument was if it’s locked in a cupboard and the tundish drips no one will see it and you’ll just eventually get a wet stain on the ceiling below .

Most trades ( in my experience) ‘bend’ the rules to suit and rarely follow to the letter . If I was installing in my own house I would . Builder says he used this tank installer guy many times with no issue . I do trust the builder ; they’ve not deviated or bodged anything as far I can tell . The tank was ‘effectively ‘ out sourced - so I made it clear to builder any issues I’ll be on to him . Just left the property and a few days ago I did a snagging list ; too be fair they are there fixing them now . So I’ll cut them a little slack for now ......

Not too much I’m sorry......

If you had a catastrophic failure and the cylinder hasn’t been installed to the MI’s then your insurance could refuse to payout. I’ve heard that in a block of flats with around £30k worth of ( uninsured ) damage done. 

Next issue is if there is no integral air break on D1 then the downstream discharge pipe can freeze and block solid, then you have a bomb in your rental property. This really is not just a bad job but it’s very, very dangerous, especially with it going into winter. 

There is no ‘drip’ from a correctly fitted tundish. Water can pass through at nigh on full wallop if it’s been fitted with the correct size and length of pipe above and below ( D1 & D2 ) so a bit of scaremongering there. 

FYI, there are two intentional points of visibility for identifying problematic discharge from the tundish; 

1) The chuffing tundish being alongside the UVC for periodic owner / self inspection / alert

2) G3 stipulates that the end of D2 terminates where it is visible, and that it terminates 100mm above outside finished floor level.

The intention is the same with the old overflows from attic tanks where the overflow gives you a shower when it’s operating, eg so you do something about it sharpish. Reason being is that is potable drinking water that is being discharged so the water bylaws state that that cannot be happening ‘behind the scenes’, hence the open tundish inside the dwelling at the UVC and the external overflow discharging where it’s continued operation wouldn’t go unnoticed. 

The regs are there to be followed, so no slack for your guy from me, sorry. ?

If everybody started putting ‘their spin’ on things then regs would be pointless.

FYI #2, the Hotun tundishes have clear click on covers so can prevent your mans dreaded splashing if he’s that bothered. 

The only thing that make the tundish splash is not enough pipe above it and the same below / invert to close so it backfills. 

Nah, the more I type the less slack they get. It’s needs sorting. If your happy to be relaxed about it then that’s up to you. If you rang the governing body up and told them how it’s fitted they’d tell you to turn it off immediately. Your call pal ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Not too much I’m sorry......

If you had a catastrophic failure and the cylinder hasn’t been installed to the MI’s then your insurance could refuse to payout. I’ve heard that in a block of flats with around £30k worth of ( uninsured ) damage done. 

Next issue is if there is no integral air break on D1 then the downstream discharge pipe can freeze and block solid, then you have a bomb in your rental property. This really is not just a bad job but it’s very, very dangerous, especially with it going into winter. 

There is no ‘drip’ from a correctly fitted tundish. Water can pass through at nigh on full wallop if it’s been fitted with the correct size and length of pipe above and below ( D1 & D2 ) so a bit of scaremongering there. 

FYI, there are two intentional points of visibility for identifying problematic discharge from the tundish; 

1) The chuffing tundish being alongside the UVC for periodic owner / self inspection / alert

2) G3 stipulates that the end of D2 terminates where it is visible, and that it terminates 100mm above outside finished floor level.

The intention is the same with the old overflows from attic tanks where the overflow gives you a shower when it’s operating, eg so you do something about it sharpish. Reason being is that is potable drinking water that is being discharged so the water bylaws state that that cannot be happening ‘behind the scenes’, hence the open tundish inside the dwelling at the UVC and the external overflow discharging where it’s continued operation wouldn’t go unnoticed. 

The regs are there to be followed, so no slack for your guy from me, sorry. ?

If everybody started putting ‘their spin’ on things then regs would be pointless.

FYI #2, the Hotun tundishes have clear click on covers so can prevent your mans dreaded splashing if he’s that bothered. 

The only thing that make the tundish splash is not enough pipe above it and the same below / invert to close so it backfills. 

Nah, the more I type the less slack they get. It’s needs sorting. If your happy to be relaxed about it then that’s up to you. If you rang the governing body up and told them how it’s fitted they’d tell you to turn it off immediately. Your call pal ?

Appreciate your input Nick as always.

I'll let them finish up the 'snagging' list first.

16 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Oh, and best not to forget that the discharge only happens when there is a fault, so the longer that goes unnoticed..........

”This message ( and your luxury HMO ) will self-destruct in 5 seconds” :S 

?Another sleepless night for me...... ?

It is not just the missing tundish, but the D2 pipe should be at least 22mm possibly more depending how long it is and how many bends it has. This one looks to be only 15mm.

If he can'r be bothered to fit the tundish and the correct size pipe, then how much confidence do you have that he has done the calcs to actually determine what size pipe it should be?

And do you even know where it discharges

And lets not forget the cage around the discharge point as it could be discharging boiling water.

• Like 1