mains and battery fire alarm

laminate flooring in bedrooms

skimmed and decorated

Too good to rent TBH

Piccys tomorrow!!!!!

Edited by pocster
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Is this for students?  Do any WCs have Saniflos?

Lol no students ! ( been there done that )

only the ensuite in the ground floor room has mascerator  - appropriate instructions on what goes down the loo in that room will be screwed to the wall !

Now to spend a few K on ....

diswasher

tumble dryer

6 double beds

6 memory foam mattresses

6 wardrobes

6 desks

6 room chairs

6 bedside tables/drawers

6 desk lamps 

dining table set

sofa

coffee table 

2 WiFi access points 

upgrade internet to tv services 

50” tv for lounge 

kitchen utensils

kettle

toaster

microwave

coffee maker

rice steamer ( tenants always ask for this )

3 chopping boards ! ( new worktops! )

2 coin meters ( to connect to tumble dryer and washing machine )

large freezer

large fridge 

locksmith to do master keys on rooms

digital tv Ariel and amplifier 

6 curtain poles ( hate fitting them )

6 curtain sets

netcurtains for all bedroom windows

7 cork boards to pin rubbish to

5 Cctv Poe ip cameras 

I’m doing a shopping list for myself .

What else have I forgot ? ?

Edited by pocster

7 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Is this a shared house, where the tenants know each other and are jointly and severally liable, an Airbnb, or what? How much is the rent?

In nearby Brighton you cannot do HMOs without planning consent (which they rarely grant).

Hmo ; so all unconnected tenants ( contract each ) . Rent includes all bills . Price depending on room from 430pcm to 650pcm 

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Is this a shared house, where the tenants know each other and are jointly and severally liable, an Airbnb, or what? How much is the rent?

In nearby Brighton you cannot do HMOs without planning consent (which they rarely grant).

So 4 second year lads renting a house in Brighton for their second year of uni. 3 have known each other since they were tots, the 4th met the other 3 during his first year. Can't say they don't know each other. 

So that's NOT an HMO?

I don't understand, I just pay the bills! :)

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

So 4 second year lads renting a house in Brighton for their second year of uni. 3 have known each other since they were tots, the 4th met the other 3 during his first year. Can't say they don't know each other. 

So that's NOT an HMO?

Definition of hmo different for all cities .

Recently changed here in October 

Also a hmo and a ‘licensed hmo’ different 

Edited by pocster

17 hours ago, Onoff said:

So that's NOT an HMO?

Haha.

It is all always different, and it changes with the wind.

You may find 3 or 4 different definitions of HMO in one Council or in different areas of the law, License schemes introduced under questionable pretences, and which may require you to commit offences or contravene building regulations to be in compliance. See recent events in Liverpool, for example :ph34r:?.

But that is off-topic, and you are just a mouse dealing with Councils who far too often act as blind, lobotomised elephants.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, pocster said:

Definition of hmo different for all cities .

Recently changed here in October 

Also a hmo and a ‘licensed hmo’ different 

(On a slight tangent ... another issue that is both important and current)

I take it you have something in place to manage the risk that your HMO may end up as 4 x Band A dwellings for Council Tax purposes? Currently happening all over the place.

https://www.property118.com/hmo-council-tax-changed-room/

https://www.propertytribes.com/hmo-individual-council-tax-banding-t-127628090.html

I think this is Bristol? Band A is £1260 a year.

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/council-tax/council-tax-charges-and-bands

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

19 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

(On a slight tangent ... an issue that is both important and current)

I take it you have something in place to manage the risk that your HMO may end up as 6 x Band A dwellings for Council Tax purposes? Currently happening all over the place.

https://www.propertytribes.com/hmo-individual-council-tax-banding-t-127628090.html

Ferdinand

It’s a valid point . Deal with that if and when it happens . If Bristol council were dumb enough to do this then it would naturally end most hmo’s As the rent increase per tenant would be extreme . I suspect it won’t happen for me but I can foresee a council tax + hmo ‘extra’ becoming a nice earner .

Rental and specifically HMO regulations/rules going through the ringer lately . Rent capping being the next thing on the horizon I think . Done in other countries and causes ( like Brexit ! ) unforeseen problems and side effects .

As other landlords sell up ( and I know they are ) only the adaptive will remain .

No one can afford to buy , no one can afford to rent - where does everyone live ??? ?

29 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

(On a slight tangent ... an issue that is both important and current)

I take it you have something in place to manage the risk that your HMO may end up as 6 x Band A dwellings for Council Tax purposes? Currently happening all over the place.

Ferdinand

Thinking about it a bit more ....

More than happy to fight council over this if it happened . Also I’d End each tenants contract and then do a joint one . I’m certain they’d agree to this rather than substantially more rent . What I don’t get is how a room with ensuite is ‘self contained’ when cooking is done in the shared kitchen . 

8 minutes ago, pocster said:

Thinking about it a bit more ....

More than happy to fight council over this if it happened . Also I’d End each tenants contract and then do a joint one . I’m certain they’d agree to this rather than substantially more rent . What I don’t get is how a room with ensuite is ‘self contained’ when cooking is done in the shared kitchen . 

Indeed - it is complicated with lots of different factors and is a VOA thing of which the Council may choose to take notice, rather than necessarily a Council thing. The rulings are buried in the VOA Manuals somewhere. There is a lot of variation documented in those threads.

Stuff that may affect:

Is there a loo in the ensuite?

Room size?

Locks on doors?

'Cooking facilities' (microwave installed by T?)

Is there a shared lounge?

Exclusiveness of 'estate'?

Do you offer in room services eg cleaning (which may affect the exclusiveness).

etc

Also of course, if it gets applied to yours, it may not get applied to the one next door.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Indeed - it is complicated with lots of different factors and is a VOA thing of which the Council may choose to take notice, rather than necessarily a Council thing.

Stuff that may affect: :

Is there a loo in the ensuite?

Locks on doors?

Cooking facilities (installed by T?)

Is there a shared lounge?

Exclusiveness of 'estate'?

Do you offer in room services eg cleaning (which may affect the exclusiveness).

etc

Also of course, if it gets applied to yours, it may not get applied to the one next door...

F

Council are greedy  

Simplest solution in worse case is evict everyone and do solely students - I.e no council tax .

You’ve made me think @Ferdinand !!!

I might add a clause in my contract stating that I pay the council tax but only if the property is valued as a whole . If council tax per room was introduced then the tenant would be liable and this would be collected via increased rent . I currently have a similar clause for the tv license . I pay for the ‘communal’ one in the lounge . If they have a tv in their room they are liable if ( has never happened) tv licensing come a knocking ....

Edited by pocster

19 minutes ago, pocster said:

Council are greedy fuckers 

Simplest solution in worse case is evict everyone and do solely students - I.e no council tax .

I don't honestly know to the first. There is a genuine crisis in funding, so I am sympathetic to the need - which is why I argue for a different system. Personally I would target the exemption for corporate style run by charities which impact on local small businesses - important but that would only nibble at the edges. I am also sympathetic to the idea that funding pressure has now gone as far as it should.

I'm inclined to think that doing that to HMOs (and making BTL generally more difficult) is cutting their noses off to spite their faces as HMO residents are the people who can least afford it, whilst driving properties from HMOs to owner occupation is driving down people per dwelling and without more supply of housing will drive up homelessness - which will land on local councils.

Of course, there is a rising campaign by Councils to apply Council Tax to Student Housing as well. :ph34r: TBF on that one, it is driven partly by a Govt decision planning to make that be funded locally, rather than subsidised.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

You’ve made me think @Ferdinand !!!

I might add a clause in my contract stating that I pay the council tax but only if the property is valued as a whole . If council tax per room was introduced then the tenant would be liable and this would be collected via increased rent . I currently have a similar clause for the tv license . I pay for the ‘communal’ one in the lounge . If they have a tv in their room they are liable if ( has never happened) tv licensing come a knocking ....

It is about the risk management. Any clauses in your rental agreement need to be lawful, fair, and enforcible of course.

One that probably requires advice imo - I would not be confident drafting such a clause.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

It is about the risk management. Any clauses in your rental agreement need to be lawful, fair, and enforcible of course.

One that probably requires advice imo - I would not be confident drafting such a clause.

Ferdinand

I know .

My contract has ‘evolved’ overtime as new issues and barriers come up .

Once I had a tenant default who was a trainee solicitor - so he picked it apart .

Its worded simply and clear so hopefully no obfuscation. You are quite right Council’s tend to hit one end of the stick and cause problems at the other end .

Bristol ( like most major cities ) has massive housing issues so they need to think ahead ; but of course they are cash strapped and blind .

I do remember some years ago the ‘fuss’ that each bedroom in an hmo should have a sink . This was ( from memory ) a government policy that each local council could adopt if they wished . Bristol didn’t because it would cause massive problems .