Sign in to follow this  
Big Neil

fall protection/insulation idea

I had a moment on Tuesday. Was having some popcorn in a bag and whilst cursing the bag that burnt me as it came out of the microwave, occured to me that it looked sort of like one of those air bags which can be used as a fall arrest device. Also have been reading a lot about spray insulation and other such liquid building products.

So what if you had a bigger version of that popcorn bag which contained some sort of two pack insulation system which when breaking a seal and mixing it, would expand within the bag. You could place this as fall arrest and if undamaged because of lack of falls, could later be de-bagged, sliced and used for insulation somewhere in the property. Maybe the attic......

The reaction time of most two component foams is pretty slow, they often take a minute or so to start foaming after the two components have been mixed.

A more practical idea if you are using a lot of rockwool / earthwool type insulation, is buy that early in the project and lay out all the rolls of that as something to land on.  Not perfect but better than nothing.

• Like 1

Fair point there, but consider it as part of site setup and plan for it to be done end of day so they can be left - even over a dormant weekend. Surely that would mitigate some of the time issue??

Just now, ProDave said:

A more practical idea if you are using a lot of rockwool / earthwool type insulation, is buy that early in the project and lay out all the rolls of that as something to land on.  Not perfect but better than nothing.

fair point. But where's the fun in that...

What would almost certainly work is a giant version of car air bag technology.  The key would be finding a very reliable way to detect someone falling to trigger the bag inflation.  Multiple bags would probably be needed to provide both a fast enough inflation time and adequate shock absorption, as air bags rely on a controlled release of gas from the impact of a body against them to work.

I think the idea has merit, though, as laying out a bunch of sealed air bag units on the floor has to be quicker than putting fall arrest bags in place, plus there'd be little wear and tear on them.

Getting a very reliable trigger mechanism would be key to making such a system work, though, and that may well not be an easy challenge to overcome in a building environment.

here you go @ProDave. XPS/PIR  stacker boxes with 'cut along this line' type seams one could snap through/cut along at the required point. Used as storage tubs for the rockwool you mention (to keep it all neat and tidy. So when you no longer need the fall protection and the rockwool goes where it's going, the XPS/PIR structure could be used as the base for UFH

2 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

What would almost certainly work is a giant version of car air bag technology.  The key would be finding a very reliable way to detect someone falling to trigger the bag inflation.  Multiple bags would probably be needed to provide both a fast enough inflation time and adequate shock absorption, as air bags rely on a controlled release of gas from the impact of a body against them to work.

I think the idea has merit, though, as laying out a bunch of sealed air bag units on the floor has to be quicker than putting fall arrest bags in place, plus there'd be little wear and tear on them.

Getting a very reliable trigger mechanism would be key to making such a system work, though, and that may well not be an easy challenge to overcome in a building environment.

Not that i've been to the gym in a loooooooooooonnnnnggggg time, but the treadmills tend to have a dog-clip attached by a cord to a magnetic disc, which if you trip comes away and the belt immediately stops. Maybe a mechanism like that, with a car airbag style inflation system??

i realise my answer could have been much shorter, but yes - car airbag with my magnetic cord idea...

13 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

Not that i've been to the gym in a loooooooooooonnnnnggggg time, but the treadmills tend to have a dog-clip attached by a cord to a magnetic disc, which if you trip comes away and the belt immediately stops. Maybe a mechanism like that, with a car airbag style inflation system??

Alternatively, turn the idea around and fit the airbags to the worker.  Laptops have long had fall sensors that reliably shut down hard drives before impact, when they sense that the laptop has been dropped.  The same acceleration sensing could be used to trigger personal air bags, turning the falling person into a sort of "Michelin Man".

34 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Alternatively, turn the idea around and fit the airbags to the worker.  Laptops have long had fall sensors that reliably shut down hard drives before impact, when they sense that the laptop has been dropped.  The same acceleration sensing could be used to trigger personal air bags, turning the falling person into a sort of "Michelin Man".

Wasn't there a motorcycle leather jacket usign a similar principal a while ago - i'll take a look later and post if i can find it. Problem there I think is the piece of kit could be restrictive as it would have to be worn.

19 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Alternatively, turn the idea around and fit the airbags to the worker.

MotoGP riders wear leathers with built in air bags.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterStarck said:

MotoGP riders wear leathers with built in air bags.

I didn't know that, sounds like a brilliant idea.  The only problem with something like this on a construction site would be the perennial one of making sure people always wear PPE.  I noticed that the majority of people working on our build didn't wear all the PPE they were supposed to, and I suspect that it's only the larger construction companies that enforce PPE use.  I know that when our new lab and office complex was being built (by Sir Robert McAlpine) they had sort of tunnel entrance to the site where everyone going in had his or her PPE checked.  If you weren't wearing it you didn't get on site, and if caught on site not wearing PPE it was a disciplinary offence.